Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: church advert not being shown

vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Tv stations cbs and nbc are not showing an advert from the United Church of Christ because it has been deemed too controversial and against company policy.

the advert shows people entering a church that has "bouncers" (doormen/security) that stop a gay couple entering, then it says that God doesn't judge so we at the United Church of Christ don't...join our church (in so many words)

CBS has a longstanding policy against accepting advocacy or issue-oriented ads and NBC declared the ad. was "too controversial."..

my view is that TV companies have every right to choose what is aired on their networks however it's sad that we are now in a society where a church needs to make such an advert in the first place.

edit: one source but there are many
    Last edited by vidcc; 12-03-2004 at 02:19 AM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    Indeed.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    backlash's Avatar usenet lover
    this is just ridiculous. I thought we're supposed to progress in life, not regress.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    dwightfry's Avatar Poster
    We live in a land where a lesbian kiss on the tele is no big deal. Where sitcoms base there entire story line on gay relationships and gay jokes. But to show an advert with the intention of welcoming this orientation into the church is controversial.

I love america.
    Life should come with backround music
    -Dwight Fry-
    Coconut, the desert's onion
    -Dwight Fry-
    Why stand when you can lean, why lean when you can sit, why sit when you can lounge, why lounge when you can lie
    -Dwight Fry-
    www.BrownSugarStudios.com

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc

my view is that TV companies have every right to choose what is aired on their networks however it's sad that we are now in a society where a church needs to make such an advert in the first place.

Why is it sad? Please explain.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbes
    Why is it sad? Please explain.
    Sad that society...especially churches make "different" people feel unwelcome.

I am a non believer but wasn't jesus a compasionate man? didn't he say let he who is without sin cast the first stone ? would you wish to enter a church that preached your life as sin instead of accepting you as just another of gods children?

Hope this explains where i am coming from
    Last edited by vidcc; 12-03-2004 at 07:13 PM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    vidcc, your talking about people that cant decide whether its "An eye for an Eye" or "Turn the Other Cheek"..

What Christians believe comes down to which brand they are using...

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced
    vidcc, your talking about people that cant decide whether its "An eye for an Eye" or "Turn the Other Cheek"..

What Christians believe comes down to which brand they are using...
    I fully realise this rat, I was just passing my opinion on it. I just find it sad.

Mentioning "turning the other cheek" on this particular thread is quite clever though

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Yes Vidcc,

You have pointed out the very reason why organized religion has become the burden it is.

It is the very literal interpretation of the Bible or whatever Holy Book, that causes it to shun certain people or create conflict within the religion and among different religions.

No one can know God, it is preposterous that God wrote or inspired the Bible more than any other Holy Scripture.

Why can't people, who feel the need to make up a God and make up what he wants us to do just keep it simple.

God created man
    God loves man
    God made each individual personally, and each person acts as he was created, in his own unique way.
    God only desires that men respect the rights of others to seek pleasure as they see fit and not to seek pleasures that infringe upon the rights of others.
    Endeavor to enrich both your mental and physical health, be a resource physically and emotionally for others in need.
    View each man as your brother, as we are all Gods' children. Color and creed are irrelevant.

See you all in Heavan

~G

Religion should be a support pillar for communal strength, the one thing we all have in common. Unfortunately, it just builds walls.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    my view is that TV companies have every right to choose what is aired on their networks...
    Better not to think of this in terms of "rights", vid; it is more correctly viewed as the freedom to push the envelope and/or pander, but also enjoy the ensuing backlash of consumer reaction for having freely aired such an ill-advised message.

This is an excellent example reminiscent of the Whoopi Goldberg incident during the campaign, with this particular net taking over the Whoopi role and getting a righteous smack for it's insolence.

Hmmmm.

Whither the stockholders?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast