Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: SuprNova Moves Towards Decentralization

I tried to get in but didn't so if someone here did do u want to send it to me and does anyone know what it is exactly? another BTClient?

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    ZaZu's Avatar I know stuff ...
    BitTorrent has quickly become one of the most popular P2P protocols on the Internet. In terms of bandwidth consumption, it is quite easily the most popular network, generating more Internet traffic than FastTrack or eDonkey2000. While BitTorrent is certainly efficient in distributing large files across the Internet, it is plagued by one vulnerability - its reliance on centralization.

The BitTorrent tracker, similar to a central server, has been the great weakness of any P2P network. Although BitTorrent trackers do not operate identically to indexing servers, they still act like traffic cops - directing traffic to their intended destination. SuprNova.org, while not a tracker per se, still operates as a impromptu tracker as it points traffic to the actual tracker. Regardless, the bandwidth consumption remains enormous. This equates to prolonged searches, lengthy load times and other typical slow downs associated with the World Wide Web.

One of the great resolutions to depending on centralized servers has been decentralization. Initiated by NullSoft's Gnutella, decentralized P2P networks have revolutionized file-sharing by making them impervious to "pulling the plug" as was Napster's and Scour's fate. This has long been a fear of many BitTorrent fans - pull the Tracker plug and there goes a portion of the network. However, it appears that SuprNova.org has found a solution to this problem. Meet Exeem.

Exeem is a new file-sharing application being developed by the folks at SuprNova.org. Exeem is a decentralized BitTorrent network that basically makes everyone a Tracker. Individuals will share Torrents, and seed shared files to the network. At this time, details and the full potential of this project are being kept very quiet. However it appears this P2P application will completely replace SuprNova.org; no more web mirrors, no more bottle necks and no more slow downs.

Exeem will marry the best features of a decentralized network, the easy searchability of an indexing server and the swarming powers of the BitTorrent network into one program. Currently, the network is in beta testing and already has 5,000 users (the beta testing is closed.) Once this program goes public, its potential is enormous.

For more information, read Google's search on "Exeem SuprNova" here.

Source

Sounds interesting I hope they include anonymity features like Mute

If you attack the establishment long enough and hard enough, they will make you a member of it.
    -- Art Buchwald --

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    Sounds interesting.

I saw them asking for beta testers before the downtime I guess this is what it was for

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Cool.Cant wait for the release.Is eny one here a tester?
    Last edited by ziggyjuarez; 12-03-2004 at 01:08 PM.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    KhalidB's Avatar Khalid Boussouara
    Will this program be open source? Obviously they can't release source yet because they want to keep it a secret beta but what about when public? I'm not some kind of free software hippy but if people can change the source then they can make their own. The original BT client looks absolute crap compared to something like azureus.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    My question is how are they keeping track of the users and preventing people from leaking it... If ur a tester leak it to me lol

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    they will not have to open source this app since bittorent was released under the mit liscense.

http://opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    KhalidB's Avatar Khalid Boussouara
    Quote Originally Posted by 4play
    they will not have to open source this app since bittorent was released under the mit liscense.

http://opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php
    I know they don't have to but it would be nice. I said that lots of really good buttorrent clients have been made due to the source being open (azureus, etc). They seem like nice people over at suprnova so I am sure it will be open.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by KhalidB
    I know they don't have to but it would be nice. I said that lots of really good buttorrent clients have been made due to the source being open (azureus, etc). They seem like nice people over at suprnova so I am sure it will be open.
    it would be in their own interest to make it opensource......... but then again, open source will limit the profitability..........

i dont know how suprnova works legally, but that could be a indication of where its going..........

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Retired
    knowing suprnova.org support spyware, I bet it would also be in the tools they will create.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast