Thread: Connecting 2 computers to the same cable connection

I have two computers. I am using a cable conection for one of them and was wondering if i could connect my second computer to the cable connection of the first. I am asking this b/c i want to d/l stuff on my old comp, therefore freeing up ram on my new comp to play games simultaneously. If i was d/l and playing an internet based game like CSS, would that seriously lag my online play?
    -TiMz

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #2
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Timz
    I have two computers. I am using a cable conection for one of them and was wondering if i could connect my second computer to the cable connection of the first.
    You'll need a router.

If i was d/l and playing an internet based game like CSS, would that seriously lag my online play?
    Depends on how much bandwidth each of these takes up.

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #3
    Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face
    If you want to do just a connection between 2 computers with their ethernet cards, you need a cable called a "crossover cable". Its basically a CAT 5 ethernet cable, but its wired differently. (ethernet card is also known as a NIC card: Network Interface Card). As far as bandwidth consumption, you will notice a fair degree of lag in your games unless you have a T1 or higher.
    Solution: as mentioned above (get a router if you want both PC's online in your network)
    Dont' download anything while you play games. Resume your downloads after you are finished playing.

I figured I would type all this information because Im buzzed up, and bored at the moment

OK...........Im drunk then........*place drunk smiley here*
    Last edited by Mïcrösöül°V³; 12-05-2004 at 08:49 AM.

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Just buy a router that's the way i'm sharing my cable connection.
    It would also work for dsl as well if i/you had that.

5. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #5
    kk, thx all
    -TiMz