Thread: plz help

Unsure

Hi guys

Not sure if this is appropriate to be asking here, I was referred here by someone.

Anyway, Windows XP doin something strange.

If you have XP you know that when you turn the comp on, you see the windows logo and a little green "loading"-type bar. Well ,lately that bar has turned blue.

Also, when I click on "My computer", my C drive is blue

And when I click on that, "CABS" is blue, and the files in the CABS folder are blue (Im talking text here, the text is usually black(
    along with a few text files in the C Drive folder, and an SRM file. dunno what that is

This has nothing to do with an update or service pack.Its been doing this for a while and Im just wondering what XP is trying to tell me, turning blue all of a sudden

I need to know why Windows is doing this. Is it trying to tell me something important? Please help guys, thanks

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Vargas's Avatar gone fishin'
    in my computer, right click on C:\ then select "properties>advanced"
    is "Compress contents to save disk space" enabled?
    that would make it blue

I dont know about your boot screen though, sorry

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargas
    in my computer, right click on C:\ then select "properties>advanced"
    is "Compress contents to save disk space" enabled?
    that would make it blue

I dont know about your boot screen though, sorry

The boot screen changes with the sp2 patch, I believe .

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    the boot screen would be blue now because xp pro\corp and service pack 2 all have a blue boot screen.
    I'm guessing you have windows XP Home right? Did you recently install SP2(service pack 2)? (you get this through http://www.windowsupdate.com).

The folder and drive names are blue because the contents are compressed.
    If you download and install TweakUI (google for it) you can change the settings so that compressed folders and drviers will be black still.

Or you can uncompress the drives\folders by right clicking the drive\folder>properties>advanced>uncheck "Compress contents"

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    THanks guys

Ok....

Well I did install the service pack, but it was blue before I did that.(way before)

Yes, my disk is "compressed" isnt that the right thing to do? It says it saves space. If I de-compress it, will something bad happen? It has always been compressed, so why would it turn blue out of nowhere.

BTW Ive had this computer for like two years and never defragmented could that have something to do with it?

I dont really care if its blue, its not an eyesore. I was just concerned that it turned blue to warn me of something.

I still dont really understand why its blue all of a sudden, but if I can be assured that its not some critical thing Ill be satisfied

Thanks

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Well if you want it to be blue then just leave it.
    Nothing bad is happening to your computer dont worry.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Vargas's Avatar gone fishin'
    blue means it's compressed, thats all

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Perhaps before you updated the older Home version did not show Blue on compressed stuff...