Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Washington Funds False Sex Lessons

NikkiD's Avatar Yen?
    There is absolutely no excuse for teaching our children things of this nature that are not true.

My son is 11, he understands sex, he understands pregnancy, he understands sexually transmitted diseases. He also understands how condoms can prevent sexually transmitted diseases and pregnancy, but at the same time, he knows without question that abstinence is the safest way to prevent both. At this moment in time, he's pretty appalled by the mere idea of it, and has stated vehemently that he's never having sex. I'm not naive enough to believe that it will stay this way, but I'm preparing him for it when it does happen.

What is wrong with teaching children the truth? If they're going to have sex, they're going to do it with or without knowing the risks. I'd rather they were armed with the knowledge of all their options.

Just a note though, although I believe that sex education programs are important in school, I also feel that a subject like this should also be reinforced in the home. It's part of a parent's role and responsibility, to educate their child, and this is too important a topic to leave up to someone else. I mean, most parents help their kids with their homework and take an interest in what their learning in math or english, they should be just as involved with what they're learning about sex.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    orcutt989's Avatar Blargh
    The Bush administration is funding sexual health projects that teach children that HIV can be contracted through sweat and tears, touching genitals can result in pregnancy, and that a 43-day-old foetus is a thinking person.
    Sounds like fundamentalist christian/ anti sex groups. Oh wait..

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by NikkiD

What is wrong with teaching children the truth?
    If the truth were widely available, within a generation there would be no Republicans.
    You see the dilemma.....
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Less Taxes - Less Money for States/Cities - Less Money for Education = Another generation stupid enough to vote for Less Taxes etc etc etc..

No wonder they dont want info available

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12