Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: difference between xp and amd64?

Poster
    obviously, the 64 is 64 bit, but i want to know is how much faster is the 64 ...say 2800 (1.8ghz) than the xp 2500 (1.83ghz). the dif. between these 2 chips is barton running at 333mhz, and 2800 running at (?). the barton can easily be oced to 400 with decent rams.

so does the 64 bit actually makes the difference in gaming applications? i want to know because im planning on purchasing an amd setup (i decided to say "fcuk it" with swapping sys with my sister). I want suggestion as to get a amd xp (already have the mobo) or get a amd64 and a new amd64 mobo.

basically, is it worth that much money ?
    Last edited by Mr. Elmo; 12-05-2004 at 04:54 AM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Elmo

Depends on what you what to use it for.As you say you want to know the difference,well since there is few 64-bit software,you cant truly see the difference in the amd64 to xp let alone could you compare.Yes it does take 32bit applets faster,yet games truly dont improve to give you that "boom" that a 64bit of software would.Over all i would say its worth it,64bit applets should start coming out faster next year.Tell then adieu.
    We"Think TOO different"-Anton LaVey

Image Removed by RF: Too big and inappropriate

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    right now, im debating between a 2500 barton or a 754 2800. with the 2800 being about $50 more and the motherboard is going to add another $60 or so, its going to be near $170. I've seen a few reviews where the 2800 is pretty much equal to a 3200xp. From what i've seen, the 2500 can be easily oced to 3000-3200 speed.

im a medicore gamer, not hardcore so i dont need a top of the line comp, but i want to play my games at decent setting (take the gfx card out of the picture).

so right now, its either 85 for 2500 barton or 170 for amd64 2800+mobo.
    if i get the 2500, im prob going to get another stick of 512 pc3200 which would add to a 512 stick i have coming monday(go newegg)

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Elmo
    obviously, the 64 is 64 bit, but i want to know is how much faster is the 64 ...say 2800 (1.8ghz) than the xp 2500 (1.83ghz). the dif. between these 2 chips is barton running at 333mhz, and 2800 running at (?). the barton can easily be oced to 400 with decent rams.

so does the 64 bit actually makes the difference in gaming applications? i want to know because im planning on purchasing an amd setup (i decided to say "fcuk it" with swapping sys with my sister). I want suggestion as to get a amd xp (already have the mobo) or get a amd64 and a new amd64 mobo.

I would suggest selling the mobo, and going A64. If you are cheap, then go with a 2800+, and OC it. (Alot of people seem to be getting 2.5+Ghz out of good 2800+'s.)

Motherboard reccommendation for the 754's would be the DFI lanparty, as usual, but also the Chaintech VNF3-250. I bought mine for about 72 bucks, and it has my sempron 3100+ running at 2.55Ghz. great OCing board, for a budget. (Btw, the sempron is about 10 bucks less than the 2800+, with no 64 bit instructions, and a smaller cache, but I still wanted to see how it OC's.

Of course, if you have the money, going Socket 939, with something like a 3500+winchester, would be a very wise investment, and stay competitive in the long haul.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    What happened to the XP CPU that was on that board? Is it a new board or something?

If you already have the mobo then get an Athlon XP. Make use of your board. Use it for now while it meets your needs. You can then sell a "working computer" (which is always easier to sell) when you need the 64bit. At that time it will be much cheaper.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    I think he said he is going to give it to his sister.

I would take the 64-bit system.
    Need a cheap/easy way of modding your xbox? Check this out.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    lol screw that...im not giving another system to my sister. The reason im building a system is because my sister 2500 is faster than my p4.

as to VB, yes, i have a xp motherboard coming. but since i order it from newegg, returning it will be easy.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    I've decided to go with the 64bit system.

oh, does anyone know anything about the quality for aopen board? the board that i've seen on newegg seems really nice. Great ocing features, it even has a little ocing program for use on windows instead of me messing in bios, thats a plus. the feature it has seems quite nice too. the reviews aer mostly positive ...so what do you guys think? im thinking of the aopen ak86-L btw
    Last edited by Mr. Elmo; 12-05-2004 at 08:12 PM.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    lynx's Avatar .
    Socket 939 has twice the memory bandwidth (assuming you have 2 sticks) and 25% higher Hypertransport bandwidth compared to socket 754. There isn't much of a price difference for motherboards, so go for socket 939 if you can afford the higher spec processor.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    This socket 939 motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...130-469&depa=1
    or even this one: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...130-468&depa=1

This 939 pin CPU: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...103-502&depa=1
    or if you can find the 3000+ Athlon 64 retail 939 pin you can save some money.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast