Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: want's a slice of post split winnings

vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    NEW YORK (AP) -- Money -- even $149 million -- can't buy you love.

Juan Rodriguez, who collected the huge windfall in the Mega Millions lottery last month, is now on the outs with his wife, the New York Post reported Saturday. Iris Rodriguez wants a divorce from her husband of 17 years, and she filed the paperwork just 10 days after Juan bought the winning ticket on November 19.

Iris Rodriguez is seeking a portion of her husband's huge lottery check, the Post said. Rodriguez, 49, opted to take his winnings in a single lump-sum payment of $88.5 million before taxes.

Although the couple appeared together at a news conference after Rodriguez matched the winning numbers, his wife had previously given him the boot over his financial difficulties.

Rodriguez had filed for bankruptcy a month before his lottery win, and court papers showed he had just 78 cents in a savings account and owed $44,000 to creditors.

The Colombian immigrant bought the winning ticket at a store near the midtown Manhattan parking lot where he worked double shifts as an attendant, earning about $28,000 a year.

source

it "appears" by the story that this couple had split before the man won the money, in fact the wife kicked him out because he had money problems.

Now forgetting any personal arrangements made between couples, should the law be that either is entitled to earnings made before or after a split.

i am looking for opinions as to what should be...not an explaination of how it is

My opinion is that everything earned during the marriage/living together should be split by law...before and after is upto the couple
    Last edited by vidcc; 12-05-2004 at 07:25 PM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    i personally don't believe that spouses should get half upon divorce.

would she still be asking if he didn't win? i think not. he should hire someone to off her.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    It depends...

In an ideal world, it would be half the estate at the time of split. It should not take what the parties took into the marriage into account..as "wives" are taken for granted generally, and do far more than they're given credit for, probably a great deal more than the husband usually. However, when the split comes, it should be as at the date of the split.

In practice, the guy gets taken to the cleaners, no matter what he does or the circumstances of the split. Proceedings getting deliberatly slowed down and delayed, as the Estate usually gains in value to the ex-wives benefit.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced
    It depends...

In an ideal world, it would be half the estate at the time of split. It should not take what the parties took into the marriage into account..as "wives" are taken for granted generally, and do far more than they're given credit for, probably a great deal more than the husband usually. However, when the split comes, it should be as at the date of the split.
    so if a woman/man that's basically pennyless marries someone that has an estate of hundreds of millions, and 6 months later they split and divorce.... that pre marriage pennyless person should be entitled to half of what the millionaire took into the marriage ?
    Last edited by vidcc; 12-05-2004 at 08:46 PM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    For Richer, for poorer; in Sickness and in Health...

In other words.... Yes.

Unless it can be shown that the marriage was entered into for fraudulant purposes to start with... unless the penniless man/woman makes a big mistake, i'd think that would be hard to prove.

I know that the Americans have overcome this with things such as "Pre-Nuptual" agreements... however, im a little old fashioned and romantic in that area myself. (Which can be seen by how i was taken to the cleaners ... doesnt change how i feel about the subject)

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Poster

As long as they were still married when he won, she will probably get a share. I don't know about half, though.

I wonder if there are children involved. Hopefully there will be airtight provisions made for them.

As far as women usually getting half, or more? My ex and I had no separate property to speak of when we married. In my experience, I asked only for child support until the children reached the age of 18. Because of my son's interest in continuing with the family business when of age, and my wish to not put the family business in dire financial straits by insisting my legal, rightfully earned share be bought out...........I walked away without touching it.

So, in your opinion does that make me fair minded or stupid?
    Last edited by Everose; 12-05-2004 at 09:33 PM. Reason: sorry---Vid didn't want laws, just opinions.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    sArA's Avatar Ex-Moderatererer
    I do see RF's point and agree that often the law is unfair but I am also aware that his opinion is based on his shitty experience which is not always the way it goes.

However, from another angle, if the wife had struggled for many years to keep a roof over the head of a man who perhaps squandered his money, and if she had only given him the boot after yet another incident where he had perhaps spent the rent money...or whatever.

I can't help but feel that she should definately get something from his win, call it payback, compensation or something. Otherwise, it will seem unjust that he gets lucky and she (probably) still has to live in poor conditions while he can live it up.

I can imagine how bitter I would be if I was her,

I am not sure about half though, I mean just a few million would make her life comfortable.
    Last edited by sArA; 12-05-2004 at 09:26 PM.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I think that it is only fair that he should provide for her/them. How much would it cost him? A few million dollars. I dont believe that the wife should be entitled to half. Unless she 'kicks him back in'.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Tis a fond dream to win teh lottery, but I read somewhere that the primary experience of big lottery winners is one of lonliness and depression.

I think this tale has all the makings of misery unfettered.

I wouldn't a wee shot though - just to see if I could handle it....errr.. in the interests of science.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles
    I wouldn't a wee shot though
    I think your mind's gone.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast