Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lan Connections

orcutt989's Avatar Blargh
    In my "My Network Places" it states that I have 2 Lan/Highspeed internet connections. One is my "Local Area Connection" which is my cable, and then the other one is a "1394 Connection". The lan says the speed is 10mbps, and the 1394 is 400 mbps. I read somewhere that the 1394 is firewire, but why is this showing up active in my connections window??

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    edit: description wrong, look at lynx's post. (Below)
    Last edited by tesco; 12-10-2004 at 01:13 PM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    lynx's Avatar .
    1394 is a high speed network device. I disagree with the definition provided by Rossco, I think Microsoft have got it exactly right.

It is the other manufacturers who have been confusing things because they thought that describing their cameras and video recorders as network attached devices would frighten potential users. So they came up with the Firewire name. This has led to the potential of this connection for networking to be completely missed.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    1394 is a high speed network device. I disagree with the definition provided by Rossco, I think Microsoft have got it exactly right.

It is the other manufacturers who have been confusing things because they thought that describing their cameras and video recorders as network attached devices would frighten potential users. So they came up with the Firewire name. This has led to the potential of this connection for networking to be completely missed.
    well that would prolly explain why there arent any firewire keyboards and such.........

am i right if i assume this would make an external HDD connected through firewire only show through "my network places" instead of as removeable storage?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm
    am i right if i assume this would make an external HDD connected through firewire only show through "my network places" instead of as removeable storage?
    No.

Although they are network attached devices, they don't use the higher level protocols recognised by Windows networking so they won't appear there. The drivers intercept traffic to and from such devices at a lower level so they still appear as removeable storage.

BTW, you can usb USB as a network too, with the right drivers. However, because of it's one to one connectivity it is not really practical for more than 2 or 3 pcs.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    why would you need a firewire keyboard in the first place

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    BTW, you can usb USB as a network too, with the right drivers. However, because of it's one to one connectivity it is not really practical for more than 2 or 3 pcs.
    how bout connecting them through a USB hub? or would that just confuse your computer?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Elmo
    why would you need a firewire keyboard in the first place
    dunno, why would you need a USB keyboard?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm
    how bout connecting them through a USB hub? or would that just confuse your computer?
    Nothing would happen because i don't think the computers know how to communicate that way.
    With the proper drivers, as lynx said, it should work.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    orcutt989's Avatar Blargh
    So wait, it is just showing my only firewire port as a network port?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by orcutt989
    So wait, it is just showing my only firewire port as a network port?
    ya

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast