Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Another litany of wise verbiage...

Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    J2,

You know fine well that the exchange rate and price of energy are huge factors in the managable debt in a country.

If the finance brokers have confidence in the currency, then you can maintain much higher debt. If they dont, then the weakening currency increases the problem greatly.

At the moment, there is a very weak Dollar, as there is little to no confidence and investment shifts to those currencies that are perceived to be stronger. (That of course brings other problems to those countries.. economics is such a quagemire)

This is also echoed in the problem that "Oil" is priced in US Dollars, High Oil Prices therefore also increase the problem as a whole for the country, whilst at the same time make the Oil Companies themselves rub their hands in glee. This may be one of the reasons that Dubbya really doesnt seem to be doing anything to protect the value of the Dollar

Why dont you want "Slick Willie" brought in? Could it be that he has a much better record on this subject?

The Debt is increasing.. not because of the Tax Income, but because the weak Dollar and the high cost of fuel limit consumer spending, except overseas.

Unfortunatly, the US companies split themselves into more manageable units, as an example; although Ford will do ok, the Taxes for its more profitable overseas companies will go to the treasuries of those overseas countries, and not into the USA's coffers.

The price of "US" goods are reducing all over Europe... however "Levies" arent paying taxes to Washington, when they sell in the UK, they pay it to Westminster, as the goods are supplied at cost for sale in Europe to their UK company. There is no "Profit" as far as Washington is concerned... this is one of the methods used by international companies to stop themselves being taxed twice.

We really should thank them for helping our economies, to the detriment of your own.
    Last edited by Rat Faced; 12-12-2004 at 03:35 PM.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    J2
    the "liberal" term as used today started with the Reagan time, this is where the great demonisation started and liberal became a word used as an insult in right wing circles.

So: that the term "liberal" is one a Democrat candidate shuns is due to the blandishments of a "conservative" President?

That's only appropriate...

...but what does the fact of the successful "demonization" of the term (especially in light of our left-leaning media) tell you, vid?

It tells me the truth will out-if the message can cross that particular threshold intact, it must really sting, huh?

Once upon a time, Liberalism was a worthy cause/aspiration; it has become that which it purports to abhor, and intolerant into the bargain.

If nothing else was proven in this election, it is that the libs better get their shit together as to their assessment of what America is, rather than what they (in all their anointed elitism) think it ought to be, or the current implosion will continue unabated.

If you think I'm wrong, go ahead and support Howard Dean or his like for DNC chair-keep thinking that 51% of Americans are too stupid or "unenlightened" for words...

...and voila!-you'll be in the same situation as now 2-4-8 years down the road, only your minority will be commensurately smaller.

I'll give you a hint as to the problem:

Conservatives don't think liberals are bad people, just somewhat mis-informed.

Liberals believe conservatives are black-hearted, evil, spawn-of-the-Devil.

Now, being possessed of a passing familiarity with your humble correspondent, you cannot possibly believe this is true, as I am the prototype conservative, wouldn't you agree?

since then just how many "liberal" administrations have we had?.... and just what state were we in economically with the liberal in charge?

i'm not sure you/he can justify that statement, if the economy is in a poor state whatever party is in power will try to paint a bright picture.
    If a democrat administration was in power and the economy was in the same state as today it is certain that the right will be shouting "crisis" ....you know it and i know it.

Uh-huh.

Notice one difference, though:

A Dem deficit will garner no Dem dissent; there is no lack of same from jelly-spined Republicans in this case.

See?

We Republicans welcome dissent, and regard it as healthy.

it just seems to me that it's the republicans that run up the defecits, then the "liberals" have to be the "margret thatcher" spooning the medicine.
    That last is a refreshing thought; perhaps you've fingered a "winning" issue for your team, huh?

"Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced
    J2,

...economics is such a quagemire...

We really should thank them for helping our economies, to the detriment of your own.
    Two operative statements in your post, Rat.

Possibly the fact of the first leads to the reality of the second?

In any case, give thanks for that last, and don't worry about us-we'll be fine-just sorely put-upon tax-wise if a Dem gets elected.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    The longer you leave it, the worse the Taxes will be.

In effect, thats an admission the Dems will get the blame for the Republicans stupidity in causing the problem in the 1st place, plus the interest acrued on that debt...
    Last edited by Rat Faced; 12-12-2004 at 04:29 PM.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    Everything will be fine, Rat; a little work on the Social Security issue, a little tax-code simplification, and all will be well.

With all this talk about debt, deficit, out-sourcing, etc., the doom-and-gloomers have succeeded in obscuring the fact the United States is the greatest financial engine in the world.

Fear not, good sir.

-Mark Twain

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    It could be, no doubt about that.

With the amount of money that goes to the Government, you could have by far the best Health and Education in the world, together with the best standard of living for your citizens.

This is one of the reasons its so sad to see that you have none of the above.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    You have an inadequate perspective of the plusses and minuses of our country.

You will be a charter participant in any such exchange program as I ever can manage, Rat.

Were I driven as I once was, I would love to host you, JP and Big Les (and whoever else was so inclined) for a few months/years.

As I am afflicted with overwhelming laziness, though, you'll have to manage to get here on your own.

I'd have made a terrific welfare/dole recipient.

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    I think, in my entire life, i have been "On the Dole" for a total of 1 week... just after leaving college.

I've been to the USA, as you know, and enjoyed it immensly. I would even have moved there, in the right circumstances... but certainly NOT because of the Health, Education or the Standard of living.

All of which the standards were lower there than here... and this is NOT a rich part of the UK, far from it in fact.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    hold on a sec
    Last edited by ilw; 12-12-2004 at 08:12 PM.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    Maybe we could do a straight-up switcheroo-

You run my gig and I'll do whatever it is you do...

What do you do, Rat?

Any non-specific description will do...

-Mark Twain

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast