Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Intruders in your home

bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    The most senior police officer in England and Wales now thinks the law should be changed to allow you, if necessary, to kill intruders in your home. The law at present says that you can use such force as is reasonably necessary to defend yourself. Does this not mean the same thing? Surely if someone is trying to kill you the only reasonable way to defend yourself is to kill them. Or they will try it again. What do members think?
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    TheDave's Avatar n00b
    i think it's good of the newspapers to emphasize on the killing bit so much. just so the crooks know to come armed

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    I agree that it is somewhat daft if one cannot kick a burglar in the nuts and tell him to beat it. However, do we really want to turn our houses into fortresses with machine gun turrets?

The papers made much of the chap who was jailed a while back for shooting a burglar. However, the boy was running away at the time and was shot in the back. This is not defending yourself it is allowing the red mist to descend and should always be illegal.

Nevertheless, the move to make the law sane in these matters would be welcome.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles
    I However, the boy was running away at the time and was shot in the back. This is not defending yourself it is allowing the red mist to descend and should always be illegal.
    A bit like the Belgrano?
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Boy, you sure don't post like a "newcomer".

I think much of what happens in home invasions is dependent on where you live.

An urban area is one thing; chances are the trespass will be committed by a dedicated criminal type, so the break-in and it's eventualities are actually likely to more uniformly fit the parameters of applicable law.

In a more rural area (like mine), while there are enough of the hardened criminal sort to keep you wary, the greater likelihood is that any intruder will be someone known to the inhabitant of the dwelling, and in such instances, the variety of potential outcomes widens exponentially.

I don't keep my long guns loaded, and I don't currently own a handgun, but I have some equipment left over from my days coaching baseball, and I always swung for the fences.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    The Home Office have promised to look into this as part of their review of categories of murder.

They just don't get it, we don't want to kill these bastards; we want them to suffer for a long time.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    The Home Office have promised to look into this as part of their review of categories of murder.

They just don't get it, we don't want to kill these bastards; we want them to suffer for a long time.
    Well...we may want to kill some of them, lynx...

...but basically, I agree.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles
    I agree that it is somewhat daft if one cannot kick a burglar in the nuts and tell him to beat it. However, do we really want to turn our houses into fortresses with machine gun turrets?
    Cool!

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    My uncle lives in South Africa
    when they're in the house or garden - they constantly wear a buzzer
    if some "locals" enter their private territory they press the buzzer and the police will come.

They are constantly under threat and walk down streets paranoid
    it is shall we say a little bit different in south africa

they do not have a gun

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    BigBank_Hank's Avatar Move It On Over
    I would hope that I would never be put into situation where I would have to shoot someone but if someone were to break into my house and try to harm my family I would. I keep my 9mm handgun at my bedside at all times and I have had to pull it out on someone who came to my house in the middle of the night banging on my door. Needless to say that was a short conversation.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast