Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canada to allow gays to 'marry'

Prime Minister Paul Martin says today's Supreme Court ruling means his government will proceed with legislation extending marriage to same-sex couples.

Speaking just hours after the court's advisory ruling paved the way for the change, Martin said the new bill will be tabled as soon as Parliament returns after the holiday break in late January.

"We are proceeding because quite simply, we believe in the Charter of Rights and the guarantee it provides to equality," Martin said in a statement read to reporters in Ottawa.

"I do not believe you can have two classes of citizens."

The Supreme Court, in a non-binding unanimous decision, decided that Parliament could proceed with the changes extending marriage to gays and lesbians, and that religious institutions would not be forced to perform same-sex marriages contrary to their beliefs.
    CTV washingtontimes.com canada.com Google news

I think this is great. I personally don’t understand why people are against this. I don’t see anything wrong with it. Why should I or anyone else really care if two guys or girl get married?

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariel_001

I think this is great. I personally don’t understand why people are against this. I don’t see anything wrong with it. Why should I or anyone else really care if two guys or girl get married?
    agreed

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariel_001

Good for Canada.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    I dont have an issue with the Gals, perhaps even allow a three way then with a guy, fk why not, but as for the Guys well...

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Why would they want to get married?

Is it for tax purposes? - Change the tax laws to accommodate.

Is it for social acceptance? - I am afraid changing the law wont change the way that people think.

Is there something or things I am missing here? If so would someone elucidate.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab
    Why would they want to get married?

Is it for tax purposes? - Change the tax laws to accommodate.

Is it for social acceptance? - I am afraid changing the law wont change the way that people think.

Is there something or things I am missing here? If so would someone elucidate.
    I would suggest it's for the same reasons as a hetrosexual couple wishes to marry.

The legal benefits that go along with it should be allowed anyway even with civil unions .

As for acceptance socially i don't think they care. I married my wife because i love her and want to spend my life with her and only her, not because i wanted acceptance

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    NikkiD's Avatar Yen?

*Applause*

@ boab - Why would anyone in their right mind want to get married?

I see it that if two people are in love, and want to make the commitment of marriage, then who's right is it to deny them that? All this has done is pave the way to making it legal for everyone do so.

I don't think it has that much to do with tax laws, of course it might in some cases, but I think it's more to do with the right to be recognized as a married couple.

I don't believe this will do anything as far as social acceptance is concerned. If people had an opinion on the matter before the decision, I don't think this is going to change their minds.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by NikkiD

*Applause*

@ boab - Why would anyone in their right mind want to get married?

I see it that if two people are in love, and want to make the commitment of marriage, then who's right is it to deny them that? All this has done is pave the way to making it legal for everyone do so.

I don't think it has that much to do with tax laws, of course it might in some cases, but I think it's more to do with the right to be recognized as a married couple.

I don't believe this will do anything as far as social acceptance is concerned. If people had an opinion on the matter before the decision, I don't think this is going to change their minds.
    No one in their right mind gets married. That is my whole point. Just try and get it annulled, with that as an excuse.

@ Vid. Hetrosexual couples generally get married because they love each other and/or in order to reproduce and give their off spring legal standing in society. Some societies demand that. Also most religions.
    Last edited by bigboab; 12-10-2004 at 09:13 PM.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab
    No one in their right mind gets married. That is my whole point. Just try and get it annulled, with that as an excuse.
    Most annulments are bullshit.

You either get a divorce or stay married.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast