Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Broadband

Poster
    I'm basically in the same situation as you Zero Cool. Here is my plan;

Currently: BT Broadband @ £24.99
    Because of capping, will move away from BT.

Ultimate goal: UK Online 8MB @ £39.99 (uncapped...well 500GB/month)
    Only available in my area in April.

Therefore, need a provider with less than 3 month contract.

Narrowed it down (because of support, no caps, no port blocking and availability) to;

1) Eclipse FLEX 1MB @ £29.99. 1 month contract (30 days cancellation notice) This FLEX thing is really helpful. You can choose, whenever you want to put your speed up to 2MB (as long as your line is capable of that) for 8p and hour AND if you migrate to Eclipse you get a month free FLEXing.
    www.eclipse.net.uk

2) Hi Velocity 1MB Christmas Special @ £23.99 (3 month contract). Actually cheaper than my 512 BT.

Hope this helps.

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #12
    (>Zero Cool<)'s Avatar he is Spartacus!
    about four feet that way......no the other way
    Quote Originally Posted by browser
    I'm basically in the same situation as you Zero Cool. Here is my plan;

Currently: BT Broadband @ £24.99
    Because of capping, will move away from BT.

Ultimate goal: UK Online 8MB @ £39.99 (uncapped...well 500GB/month)
    Only available in my area in April.

Therefore, need a provider with less than 3 month contract.

Narrowed it down (because of support, no caps, no port blocking and availability) to;

1) Eclipse FLEX 1MB @ £29.99. 1 month contract (30 days cancellation notice) This FLEX thing is really helpful. You can choose, whenever you want to put your speed up to 2MB (as long as your line is capable of that) for 8p and hour AND if you migrate to Eclipse you get a month free FLEXing.
    www.eclipse.net.uk

2) Hi Velocity 1MB Christmas Special @ £23.99 (3 month contract). Actually cheaper than my 512 BT.

Hope this helps.
    Hey Browser

That's great buddy, thanks for the info . They both look very interesting.

I think bt is gone and shot itself in the foot with their new policy, but I suppose that there are enough 'casual' users to keep them going, seems like they are trying to flush out those who use their broadband to it's fullest potential.

On the subject of fullest potential Eight Mbit ( )

Now that sounds good, be a nightmare trying to keep your ratio at a sensible level if you are into that kinda thing.

Thanks again for the help , I must remember and let bt know i am leaving as I think you need a months notice.

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #13
    Poster
    Hi

Yes BT are really getting on my nerves. Really just slowing down broadband in the UK with the overpriced, soon-to-be-capped service.

Yes 8MB, can't wait. You should check if it's available for you...
    www.ukonline.net/8000

Yes, the ration will be hard to keep up but there still is a slightly increased upload speed to, as far as I remember. (I'll just have to leave my computer running for longer then....anything for 8MB.

I also think that as long as you've finished your 12 month BT contract, you can request your MAC code immediately, but i'm not 100% sure.

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #14
    (>Zero Cool<)'s Avatar he is Spartacus!
    about four feet that way......no the other way
    Quote Originally Posted by browser
    Hi

Yes BT are really getting on my nerves. Really just slowing down broadband in the UK with the overpriced, soon-to-be-capped service.

Yes 8MB, can't wait. You should check if it's available for you...
    www.ukonline.net/8000

Yes, the ration will be hard to keep up but there still is a slightly increased upload speed to, as far as I remember. (I'll just have to leave my computer running for longer then....anything for 8MB.

I also think that as long as you've finished your 12 month BT contract, you can request your MAC code immediately, but i'm not 100% sure.

Hey

Ok looks like you will be getting a lodger as the 8MB service ain't available in my cave

Eight MB would be nice (slight understatement) but as I am on 512 at the mo anything above that will be cool.

I have been with bt for over a year, too lazy to shop around but I woll need to check out about cancelling as I don't wanna be stuck longer than I have to be.

Thanks Browser

Zero

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12