1) An Electrician is someone who is trained in the craft of installing, maintaining,
repairing and operating electrical systems. This can apply to jobs such as
installing lights, to installing scoreboards for sport arenas. Electricians can also
work with telephone lines, and fiber optics.
1) The three things that attract me to this career the most is the pay (50,000-
60,000 per year), the fact that itís a hands on job, something that I really like,
and that I will meet a lot of new people. In this job you do jobs for so many
people, you may work in a certain area for a couple years and meet a few
people, then move on to another side of the city and meet hundreds more .
2) One thing I didnít know before I did my research is that there are a lot of
places to work. I always thought you just worked in one area or the city (the
water front, the university), but my dad works all over the city.
1) The things that I am good at are:
-Some sports like hockey and pool.
-I am very good with computers.
-I am good with people.
-I am good at cooking too.
2) I am a kinesthetic learner. I feel that this affects my academics a lot
because I am good at math, science and any kind of shop, but I am not good
at English and history. I think this is because in math and science you do a lot
of problem solving and in shop you use your hands. In English its just writing
and I find that extremely boring so I tent to not do as good.
3) Logical/ Mathematical- when you are an electrician you have to know your
mathís and scienceís because you will have to figure out what plug can take a
certain voltage. You will have to use your logic to determine the most efficient
way to wire something too.
Interpersonal- I am a people person, I like being in a group because I work
better. You have to be this way in this business or you will not succeed.
Most likely you will have people working for you or you will be working for
someone, if you canít cooperate you will not do well. You have to be polite
and curtious to customers or they will not come back.
Bodily/kinesthetic- To do any type of construction you need to be hands
on. You will need to fix things, install things and use tools.
4) An example of this is when I worked for my dad in the summer. I didnít
know the first thing about wiring stuff, but within 3 days I had already learned
how to wire plugs and make data cables. I still remember how to too.
5) My transferable skills are:
Communication Skills- I got this from just going to school and doing my work.
Problem solving skills- from doing puzzles and quizzes. Also from working with my hands, and fixing things.
Listening Skills- From going to class and taking notes.
3) I am a funny, smart person who likes to work with my hands and build
things. Iím very enthusiastic and will try anything once. I enjoy learning new
things. I may seem to be an idiot at times, but thatís my personality. When I
put my mind to something I do well. Iím very outgoing too.
4) My hobbies are hanging out with my friends, working with my computer
and playing baseball.
1) Experiences that can prepare me for this career that I have already done
are working with my dad who is an electrician and taking shop class in high
2) In order to become a certified electrician you need your grade 12 diploma,
then you need to take up an apprenticeship to learn the required skills until
you take your license test.
1) First I will continue working with my dad on holidays to get a head start on
learning. I will continue doing well in math and science because you need
to be good at those subjects, and finally I will get my grade 12 diploma
and continue working with my dad but as an apprentice.