View Poll Results: should worried parents be allowed to listen to their childs private phone calls?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • under 21..... yes if they are worried about something their child is in to

9 31.03%
  • under 21. no parents have no rights to invade privacy, even if they are worried

8 27.59%
  • under 21..... yes they pay the bill they have the right no matter what

1 3.45%
  • over 21....yes if they are genuinly worried about something their child is in to

7 24.14%
  • over 21....no parents have no rights to invade privacy, even if they are worried

1 3.45%
  • over 21....yes they pay the bill they have the right no matter what

3 10.34%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: should parents be allowed to snoop?

vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Added to the debate in the drawing club please indicate your view.

the question isn't about over the top actions. it is about when a parent has concerns....should they be allowed to listen in on their child phone calls etc. without the child knowing or giving permission?

it has age groups for each answer so we can tell what difference of opinion is due to age

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    iMartin's Avatar ♥Home Grown♥ BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Me, being a 16 year old male, I'd have to say fuck no.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    NO
    Please do not expect a child to tell everything to the parent
    if you think this is possible - you are an idealist

only in SEVERE cases will child therapists contact the parents when serious help is needed.

This opinion was derived from last nights dinner talking to ULLa a norwegian child psychologist who does "helpLines" and online direct "chat" help
    proffesionally

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by 15%
    NO
    Please do not expect a child to tell everything to the parent
    if you think this is possible - you are an idealist
    Erm if we expected the child will tell us everything why would this thread exist?

it's about what they don't tell us
    only in SEVERE cases will child therapists contact the parents when serious help is needed.
    what therapist?.....Parents don't take no interest in their children until a therapist calls... hopefully a good parent will be able to intervene and help before it gets to the point where a therapist is involved

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    i agree and wanted to ask the child psychologist this question but then somebody decided to make a speach and we got distracted.

choice 1 : the child is ok
    choice a: the parent is aware (or overly aware) that a child has issues and contacts therapist/listens in/speaks to child about issues
    choice b : (most likely in issue cases) a child contacts local help line/help group for help/freinds/and all the other directions one can go
    choice c: the child is not aware of choice
    Last edited by 100%; 12-13-2004 at 03:57 AM.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    sorry i got a little distracted from the talk last night

if it was my child and there were issues which made me worried
    yes i would listen in
    with that knowledge (prooved that there are issues)
    i would confront my child with it
    depending on the age/ niveau of the child - the child would probably respond in different ways
    if there is trust/openess the child will explain
    but im am certain that most kids dont tell everything to there parents because they are there own personsand relize this.

question : did/do you tell your parents everything?

answer : i think 99% say no

7. Lounge   -   #7
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    The age should be 18 yrs old.

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    fuck it.. if you're over 21 and you don't like the rules then leave home.

If you're under 21, legally your parents could be held accountable for your actions, so they have a right to know what's going on. If you're worried about your parents overhearing, then simply watch what you say , or use your mobile, or get your own line connected...

Most parents will want to do the right thing, and if any parents overstep the mark they will get repaid with lack of respect from their children, which is a far worse punishment I would have thought, than anything the state can impose.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    The age of majority in the USA is 18. All except alcohol.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    i set it at 21 to get an idea of opinions based on age, Also at 21 some are still under their parents financial umbrella due to further education.
    I could have set it at 25 or even 30 when most are already or are becoming parents. It has nothing to do with the age of majority

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast