Thread: Legend Of Earthsea

Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Did anyone see on SciFi last night? Part 2 is tonight.

Did you think it was a LOTR rip-off? I taped but didn't watch it yet.(waiting for both parts)
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    I'm waiting for mine to finish downloading.

The Wizard of Earthsea (on which this series is based) came out after the Middle-Earth novels, true, but I've always enjoyed Ursula K. Le Guin's works more than Tolkien's. Earthsea is a much more original world imo, and the stories aren't so black and white as Tolkien's. If this series is done right then there should be a darker side to the "good-guys".

I'll save my judgement of it's merits but funnily enough I have always felt that Harry Potter was inspired, in some part, by Ursula K. Le Guin's Wizard of Earthsea .
    Last edited by Withcheese; 12-14-2004 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Edited 600 times for punctuality...

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    Retired
    thnx for posting this... Looks good

How many episodes will there be? and when will they air? (tv home doesnt have this serie in their database)

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Just finished watching the first episode. As I'm in a good mood I will only say positive things about it and leave out all the negative points I noticed:

Kristin Kreuk is in it.

That is all.
    Last edited by Withcheese; 12-14-2004 at 05:46 PM.

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    Retired
    If I understand correctly there are only 2 episodes based on the novel 'A WIZARD OF EARTHSEA' and that maybe in the fututre (summer 2005) they will air 'THE TOMBS OF ATUAN'

Still downloading ep2 I hope it doesnt have an open ending

6. Movies & TV   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Withcheese
    The Wizard of Earthsea (on which this series is based) came out after the Middle-Earth novels, true, but I've always enjoyed Ursula K. Le Guin's works more than Tolkien's. Earthsea is a much more original world imo, and the stories aren't so black and white as Tolkien's. If this series is done right then there should be a darker side to the "good-guys".
    i'd say it's prolly not so much a case of copying, as it is the fact that all "fantasy" stuff looks almost exactly the same at a glance. at some point, somebody must have decided "fantasy stories are all going to be set in some distant past in a distant land (or a quaint english forest) and be populated primarily by elves, dwarves, fairies, nymphs, munchkins, leprechauns, trolls, and an occasional dragon or unicorn... and that's just how it's going to be." could nobody think of anything else fantastic besides tiny people, dragons, and magical swords/rings/etc, to put into a fantasy story? *shrug* guess not.

7. Movies & TV   -   #7
    dodgy368's Avatar Poster
    Remove Harry Potter and LOTR's from your brain before watching this or you'll lose interest.

Watched ep01 today and have 54% of 02 at the mo, will watch tomorrow cos I think it's quite good.

8. Movies & TV   -   #8
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    I thought it was all too rushed, they should have made it four parts or something more. As it stands things were just happening too fast, a real shame considering how good the source material is.