Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: does Defrag. affects HardDrive?

lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by KhalidB
    You shouldn't need to defrag a lot but you can also reduce fragmentation other ways:

Create a seperate partition for swap and the temp folder
    Get disk partitioning software (you know where to get this)
    Move the swap file before moving the temp folder
    Set the swap file to a fixed size

Dont use a browser cache
    Are they really necessary any more?
    In IE set it to as low as possible
    In Mozilla set the size to 0kb

In Bittorrent allocate and zero on creation
    As soon as you start a DL it created the file and puts zeroes in it
    This reduces fragmentation
    Azureus can do this. So can many other BT clients
    Defrag before you start a big download

I do all of the above. The only things on my system which really end up fragmented are log files which are a couple of kilobytes. These aren't exactly thrashing the disk. You probably know all this anyway but there are people who don't.
    Really can't agree with you on the browser cache, that's just wasteful of bandwidth both for you and the sites you visit. If I wanted slow browsing I wouldn't have bothered getting broadband.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishtawiman
    I use Perfect Disk and defrag once a month. Acutally, I defraged yesterday. And I heard that defraging actually lowers the life of the harddrive as its doing mass reorganization.
    It is unlikely to reduce disk life unless it has to do so much work that your drive overheats. As I said above, I defrag nightly, it normally only takes a few seconds. I also allow about an hour between defragging each partition so the disk has time to cool down if it has got more fragmented than usual.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    orcutt989's Avatar Blargh
    Is that true? Does defragging lower the life of your HDD? That doesnt make much sense to me.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by orcutt989
    Is that true? Does defragging lower the life of your HDD? That doesnt make much sense to me.
    read lynx's psot above yours.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    worldpease's Avatar always annoying
    Yea, I wasnīt completly shure about fragmented log files, but I always tough that too.
    -And about defragmenting before any big download, something Iīve always wonder,
    does defragmenting in the midle of a big download (say a TV Season) afects the file, does it make it corrupt? or on the contrary, could the download obstruc the defragmentation proces?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by worldpease
    Yea, I wasnīt completly shure about fragmented log files, but I always tough that too.
    -And about defragmenting before any big download, something Iīve always wonder,
    does defragmenting in the midle of a big download (say a TV Season) afects the file, does it make it corrupt? or on the contrary, could the download obstruc the defragmentation proces?
    Defragging should not affect any current operation, except possibly slowing things down. If you get corruption because of drfragging, ditch that defrag program - it is faulty.

Similarly the download can't obstruct the defrag process, the rate at which you can download is far slower than the rate at which your disk will be defragged, so although it may degrade the performance of the defragger slightly it can never beat it. In any case there will always be files which can't be defragged, if necessary a poor defrag program will simply mark active files in this way and leave them alone.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12