Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lan party (how?)

Welp, school vacation's comming up, and me and a few friends were thinking about what to do, and someone brought up the idea of a lan party. Now, it sounded cool and all, but, the problem is, is that we dont really know how to go about doing it. Ive google-searched, yet i get more stuff about the enviroment that itd be in, then how to set everything up. If anybody has any knowledge, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

(I posted this in hardware world, because it has more to do with the hardware aspect than anything else. Please move if in the wrong part)

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    get a hub or router to hook all of the computers together.
    Then network them (easy, just run network setup wizard [if xp]).

Install your games and click multiplayer>network and one creates a game then teh rest join.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Ok, here come the noob questions

1) me have no router, so if you could recommend a decent one, it'd be cool.

2) im kinda confused to how everything hooks up... does internet connection speed have anything to do with this?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    orcutt989's Avatar Blargh
    Just do what the instructions tell you, and then run Windows Network Wizard, or whatever.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    you just plug each computer's network card into the hub or router.
    hubs are much cheaper but if you want to share the internet with all of your computers then you will want a router...

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    hmm
    Last edited by opivykid; 12-17-2004 at 02:34 AM.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    So for just the lan party itself, would i be better off with a hub, or a router?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Spicker's Avatar AKA jaigandhi5 BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    drink some alchol and invite ur friends over and get drunk and then run around naked

Local
    Alcohol
    Nude

Party
    =
    LAN PARTY

My Blog
    I'm still here.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    you dont need a router that if you want to access the net, a hub or switch will do the trick. they are pretty cheap these days. find out how many people will be coming and buy one with that many or more ports. make sure everyone has a nic as well.

say £10 each for the nic and £40 for a 8 - 16 port switch.

edit : oh yeah your gonna need some rj45 cable as well.
    Last edited by 4play; 12-17-2004 at 02:55 AM.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Formula1's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by opivykid
    Ok, here come the noob questions

1) me have no router, so if you could recommend a decent one, it'd be cool.

2) im kinda confused to how everything hooks up... does internet connection speed have anything to do with this?

A good router is linksys , i use it and it works great. Alot of people have it and people like too, and one of the most commonly used routers, and considered one of the best, but just about any router will do i guess. (i dont work for linksys or etc. lol)

To set up a network , go to >Network Places>Create a Network .... Totally easy. i've never actually set up a lan network for playing games, but i was able to set up a home network and was able to share a folder from one pc to another...

As for internet connection, you want a good connection that will be able to allow more than one pc's to connect to the internet , a good one could be dsl or broadband , i'm not sure how 56k works....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast