Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: How Bout Dem Wizards!!! (NBA)

Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    My mistake. I meant to correct that but only corrected squabble.
    I originally had squable.

Oh yeah I peeped that.....

what with it being a non-contact sport.

But the physical part? Nah, I play soccer.
    NPs on the error, it happens to to the best of us - I've first hand experience.

Shortly after I made that post, I explained exactly why I termed it non-contact. I take it that you're not calling my reasoning into question any more. Cool.
    Actually yes I did. You read what you wanted to read to bolster your "no turning back" argument. When you put yourself out there so much it's hard take being humbled.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

2. Sports Club   -   #102
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Well the weird thing is I actually knew what I was talking about, on both sports.

You went off half-cocked. You assumed it was non-contact. I corrected you, citing experience playing and watching the sport. Still on your high horse, you cited google, and only looked for what bolstered your argument and ignored the rest of the website....so bad infact that the part citing contact was right under the part you cited.

It is easy to make mistakes. You were mistaken. Fair enough but sometimes trust that someone that plays the sport might know a little bit more about it than you before showing your ass.

Basketball is a contact sport.

Speaking of humility....

It's really difficult to argue when the other person is correct, isn't it.
    Not sure if writing it twice will help you understand but I'm all for assisting your comprehension. It seems necessary 'cause sometimes if it's drummed in enough times, you seem to get it eventually.
    This is the crux of the matter and what I'm trying to explain to you.

Let's put it another way 'cause frankly I don't think you'll understand it otherwise.
    I think he was drunk.
    That said, it seems as if I've taught you something.
    you disputing it my point is futile because it's written in the rules.
    Say, do you agree that I copied and pasted correctly earlier? Cos that's what it boils down to.

You just copied and pasted the best bits out of all of my posts on this matter. Cheers and well summarised.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

3. Sports Club   -   #103
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Basketball is, per definition, a non-contact sport. I don't see what all the fuss is about.

Random sites found through google all say the same thing. Since it's how people all over the world define it, why bother arguing the point?

I've played it, btw. 'twas all right, though it's hardly the best game in the world.

Nice to see your team have been doing all right though (at least at times), busy.

4. Sports Club   -   #104
    Quote Originally Posted by SnnY
    Basketball is, per definition, a non-contact sport. I don't see what all the fuss is about.

Random sites found through google all say the same thing. Since it's how people all over the world define it, why bother arguing the point?

I've played it, btw. 'twas all right, though it's hardly the best game in the world.

Nice to see your team have been doing all right though (at least at times), busy.
    Oh jeez.....google AGAIN?

Dude you could propbably find sites that say basketball is a non-contact sport, a contact sport, a semi-contact sport and the same with soccer.
    (I bet when you googled, you probably saw contact sport with basketball and didn't post it )

If a website told you soccer was a non-contact sport, would you agree, or use your own brain?

Book knowledge versus common sense.

btw as I said before (regarding the Wizards), where's the broom?

They got swept by Miami (without Shaq for the Wizard's home games).

I think basketball is the best game probably due to it's rapid fire scoring.....there's a highlight almost every half-a-minute and I'm never disappointed. There is so much scoring and different ways that it happens that I'm usually exhausted at the end.

I like football but there can be much disappointment. I once went to game that ended in a tie at 7 and froze my ass off in nose-bleed seats.
    Last edited by Busyman; 05-16-2005 at 07:27 PM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

5. Sports Club   -   #105
    Oh ffs, I said I've played it too, it isn't a contact sport and that's that, 'cos of the rules see, and no, I didn't find any sites that expressively said it was a contact sport, though I did find a somewhat bewildered-sounding fellow in a blog who might have an opinion in that direction, possibly, not really sure what he wanted to say. But I just picked a few at random, I've no doubt there are more people who don't read books, or the rules, so there are probably people out there who'd say it was a contact sport.

It really doesn't matter to me whether it is or not, but it's defined as a non-contact sport on the web, and so it was when I played it in school, and that wasn't just once.

I'm not really tall enough though, I did learn how to shoot all right, but I never got into the game.

One could argue that non-contact sports might require more skills. In contact sports, like hockey, it seems to me that a team can sometimes win through brute force, you can't do that with basketball, 'cos you aren't allowed to mangle the opposition. I dunno' about you but that's a good thing in my book.

Good for your team, though.
    Last edited by Snee; 05-16-2005 at 07:36 PM.

6. Sports Club   -   #106
    Oh ffs, I said I've played it too, it isn't a contact sport and that's that, 'cos of the rules see, and no, I didn't find any sites that expressively said it was a contact sport, though I did find a somewhat bewildered-sounding fellow in a blog who might have an opinion in that direction, possibly, not really sure what he wanted to say. But I just picked a few at random, I've no doubt there are more people who don't read books, or the rules, so there are probably people out there who'd say it was a contact sport.

It really doesn't matter to me whether it is or not, but it's defined as a non-contact sport on the web, and so it was when I played it in school, and that wasn't just once.

I'm not really tall enough though, I did learn how to shoot all right, but I never got into the game.

One could argue that non-contact sports might require more skills. In contact sports, like hockey, it seems to me that a team can sometimes win through brute force, you can't do that with basketball, 'cos you aren't allowed to mangle the opposition. I dunno' about you but that's a good thing in my book.

Good for your team, though.
    That's what I'm talking about. You read the rules and if you really understood the game dynamic (or watched an NBA game) you'd understand what I mean about contact.

When you played you might have called a foul at the slightest touch 'cause of the rules. However, that is not how the game is played. Did you learn about boxing out, posting a player, driving in for a basket when time is winding down to purposely get fouled, purposely fouling a player to stop the clock to make him shoot free throws to get the ball back? If I block a shot and knock a player down afterwards...it's not a foul, it's a block. If I miss the shot and knock him down, it's a foul.

I even said that if a person terms basketball as non-contact then soccer has to be as well.

If a parent is trying to get their child into a non-contact sport, I wouldn't recommend tennis or basketball. I'd recommend tennis.
    My 2 torn ACL's, 1 torn meniscus, temporary blindness in one eye from an elbow, numerous blindside picks, sprained ankles, hip-pointers, bruised shins and thighs, knock downs, smacks, fractured and sprained (fat) fingers, and scratches won't allow a basketball recommendation.

I think that's the reason that this all makes me laugh.

Book knowledge versus common sense.
    Last edited by Busyman; 05-16-2005 at 08:12 PM.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

7. Sports Club   -   #107
    I figure the rules sort of define the game. Since you aren't really supposed to touch, officially, then it isn't a contact sport. But sure, inofficially you may get away with a certain amount of physical contact.

When I played football, tackles weren't allowed (I wasn't that old then) so at that point it wasn't really a contact sport either, what's different with proper footie as it's played by adults, and what makes footie different from basketball, is that the rules regulate what's proper and what is improper contact. That you can't punch someone, with or without him being in possesion of the ball, but that you can tackle him if he has the ball is something that's stated in the rules, the same isn't true for basketball.

I see physical contact in basketball more like insulting someone with the purpose of psyching them when playing football. You aren't really supposed to do it, but it still happens, as the refs can't really blow the whistle every time someone slips a little, or the game will never get played.

Contact or non-contact are just words anyway, and I don't reckon it's entirely possible to say exactly where one starts and another begins, so I'll go by what seems to be the official definition, if I'm uncertain. In this case though, I don't think it's a contact sport period.

Anyways, I don't really see one as inferior to the other of the two terms, and I don't really understand how I came to write this much about it. It's up to you if you wanna' re-write the dictionary, but I'm not sure how common sense comes into that.

8. Sports Club   -   #108
    I figure the rules sort of define the game. Since you aren't really supposed to touch, officially, then it isn't a contact sport. But sure, inofficially you may get away with a certain amount of physical contact.

When I played football, tackles weren't allowed (I wasn't that old then) so at that point it wasn't really a contact sport either, what's different with proper footie as it's played by adults, and what makes footie different from basketball, is that the rules regulate what's proper and what is improper contact. That you can't punch someone, with or without him being in possesion of the ball, but that you can tackle him if he has the ball is something that's stated in the rules, the same isn't true for basketball.

I see physical contact in basketball more like insulting someone with the purpose of psyching them when playing football. You aren't really supposed to do it, but it still happens, as the refs can't really blow the whistle every time someone slips a little, or the game will never get played.

Contact or non-contact are just words anyway, and I don't reckon it's entirely possible to say exactly where one starts and another begins, so I'll go by what seems to be the official definition, if I'm uncertain. In this case though, I don't think it's a contact sport period.

Anyways, I don't really see one as inferior to the other of the two terms, and I don't really understand how I came to write this much about it. It's up to you if you wanna' re-write the dictionary, but I'm not sure how common sense comes into that.
    Common sense comes in where by watching the game you can see there's contact.

Common sense comes in where by playing the game there's contact.

Book knowledge comes in where in the rules, there is contact allowed in basketball (shown earlier with the forearm thingie and also not shown is that the hand is part of ball). Also in the rules, or better yet not in the rules, it doesn't say too much about folks without the ball (Ever see 2 players fighting for position in a post?). It says nothing about a shooter being hit after his shot is blocked.

In soccer you are not allowed (according to the rules at least) to do anything besides shoulder-to-shoulder contact before touching the ball.

Common sense comes in where if the dictionary said basketball is a non-contact and yet your child comes home fucked up from contact, you'll be scratching your head instead of using the aforementioned...common sense.

Basketball is also slightly different in that penalties are part of play and game strategy.

If a known shit foul shooter is about to win the game on a dunk with time at the last second, it would smart to foul him purposely to increase your teams chances of winning. One fella on the Phoenix Suns (NBA Playoffs), Joe Johnson was going for a dunk, and Jerry Stackhouse of the Dallas Stackhouse fouled him and now Joe Johnson is out for the rest of the playoff season (he fell on his back).

This is the reason why simple reading is not the end all be all answer and a simple watch of the game tells the story rather easily (which I'm sure all of you have seen).

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

9. Sports Club   -   #109
    RPerry's Avatar Synergy BT Rep: Bad Rep
    btw as I said before (regarding the Wizards), where's the broom?

They got swept by Miami (without Shaq for the Wizard's home games).
    Yeah, what happened there ? I was working for most of the games. I figured Miami would win the series with the Wizards ( I actually am picking them to win the championship), but wasn't figuring on another sweep.

10. Sports Club   -   #110
    Quote Originally Posted by RPerry
    Yeah, what happened there ? I was working for most of the games. I figured Miami would win the series with the Wizards ( I actually am picking them to win the championship), but wasn't figuring on another sweep.
    I still can't believe they played like that and a missing Shaq.

While at the games I did notice a trend in the foul calling in Miami's favor and I am really speaking from logical standpoint.

I look for stuff like that even if they miss a call against the Wizards.

You should have seen the number of times Wade went to the charity stripe.

The Wizards mounted an amazing comeback near the end of the last game. It was exciting as ever!!

Unfortunately we fell short.

If Miami plays this good without Shaq they are a shoe in to win the whole thing with him.

The rest of the contenders are in fierce battles.

Indiana/Detroit are tied at 2, San Antonio/Seattle tied at 2, Dallas/Phoenix tied at 2.....

Miami is now resting, Shaq has rested for their last 2 games...

And the way it looks, they will be resting for awhile. The others look to go the full 7 games.

Your team is now my favorite to win the whole thing as well.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast