Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast

Thread: How Bout Dem Wizards!!! (NBA)

Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    Those who know basketball are laughing at you right now. You don't know what the fuck you are talking about and may as well shut the fuck up. See below..........RIF ya dipshit. In tennis you don't touch the other player; gameplay doesn't involve touching the other player. In basketball contact is PART OF THE GAME. It directly affects strategy in the game. Talk about what you know, like being a new and fresh turd.
    Consider your shit point uh.......previously countered and countered again.

btw I didn't know you were allowed to intentionally clock someone in the eye in soccer. Maybe I'll start tackling an offensive player when he's about to score. SOundsLikeE..........BULLSHIT!!!

WhoTF is talking about tactics?
    Football is an easy sport to pick up besides the catching part.

Running and kicking are very basic. We've done it as 3 years-olds. We've played kick the can ffs.

It's one of things that makes soccer one of the easiest games to pick up.
    Everyone on this forum knows it. You know it and I know it.

I really don't know what the fuss is.
    I'm talking about tactics. I brought it in to see if you could see where your pseudo logic takes you. You can't but it's hardly surprising to me. To cut straight thro' the waffle - I didn't say that you could intentionally elbow a player in the eye, we call that a foul - just like if you intentionally touch a different player in basketball to gain an advantage. The difference being that you can use contact to your advantage legally in soccer, you cannot in basketball.

I really don't know why you're having difficulty with this.

LEGALLY you're not allowed to use contact to your advantage in basketball.

Not sure if writing it twice will help you understand but I'm all for assisting your comprehension. It seems necessary 'cause sometimes if it's drummed in enough times, you seem to get it eventually.

Now, to extrapolate upon your example and eventually equate it to basketball, in soccer it is possible to elbow their star player in the eye. It's not within the rules (I'm calling it illegal, the reason will become clear later - it's for your own benefit, 'k) so you might get sent off but maybe you can use it to your advantage. You can also foul the opposition in other ways to gain advantage. In basketball you can intentionally touch another player but you'll get penalised for it.

This is because within the context of the sport it's illegal. This is the crux of the matter and what I'm trying to explain to you.

Let's put it another way 'cause frankly I don't think you'll understand it otherwise.

In America, it's illegal to steal yet people still do it. If you ask an American policeman, or a member of the general public who understands these matters, if stealing is allowed he'll say NO, stealing is not allowed. That's despite it going on all the time. Similarly in basketball intentional contact happens all the time yet it's illegal but if I, a basketball n00b, asked the ref if it was okay for me to touch the other players to try to gain an advantage, he would say NO, that's not allowed.

There, I managed to get thro' all of that without calling you names. Go me.

You don't know what you are talking about.

If don't know the rules of basketball why not STFU?

Basketball is a contact sport. Contact is allowed. Period.

Let me post this again...since you are having a hard time reading.....

Basketball players post other players, set picks, dunk on players, take offensive fouls, purposely commit fouls to stop the clock. It GREATLY affects the outcome.
    Hell fouling is part of the game. The Chicago came back from 10 down in a minute 'cause they kept hitting 3-pointers and we were missing our foul shots.

At the very least, talk about a sport that you know.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

2. Sports Club   -   #62
    You're not but tackling someone when they're about to score in soccer? Sounds like an excellent idea

Keep reading those tactics books, Busy.
    Well you are the one that said intentional contact in soccer is coowol.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

3. Sports Club   -   #63
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    when i used to play at school, we could be as obstructive as we want but physical contact was out of the question

4. Sports Club   -   #64
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Sure. Intentional contact occurs in a Basketball game to secure an advantage for a team - I think we've established that and its painfully obvious. However, it is not legal and definitely pinpoints a clear distinction between this sport and full contact sports.

In this instance full contact is tautologos and as such should be avoided as a term. Hence to distinguish from sports where contact is allowed, sports where intentional contact is not allowed are termed non-contact. This is not to say that people who call them non-contact sports are naive enough to think that there is no contact throughout the course of a game.
    Quote Originally Posted by NBA Rules
    a. A player shall not hold, push, charge into, impede the progress of an oppo-nent by extending a hand, forearm, leg or knee or by bending the body into a posi-tion that is not normal. Contact that results in the re-routing of an opponent is a foul which must be called immediately.
    b. Contact initiated by the defensive player guarding a player with the ball is not legal. This contact includes, but is not limited to, forearm, hands, or body check.

Dribbler:

a. A dribbler shall not charge into an opponent who has established a legal guarding position
    b. If a defender is able to establish a legal position in the straight line path of the dribbler, the dribbler must avoid contact by changing direction or ending his dribble.

Summation:

If contact committed against a player, with or without the ball, is interpreted to be unnecessary, a flagrant foul--penalty will be assessed
    Intentional contact is illegal in basketball. It is not in soccer. That's all I wanted to say and is sure as hell all I'm asserting. As you rightly say, I have no clue about basketball. That said, it seems as if I've taught you something.

Edit: I could have quoted the rules ages ago but you getting het up enough to underpin the opposing argument by calling someone on the interweb a new and fresh turd greatly entertains me.
    Last edited by manker; 05-13-2005 at 01:33 PM.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

5. Sports Club   -   #65
    Sure. Intentional contact occurs in a Basketball game to secure an advantage for a team - I think we've established that and its painfully obvious. However, it is not legal and definitely pinpoints a clear distinction between this sport and full contact sports.

In this instance full contact is tautologos and as such should be avoided as a term. Hence to distinguish from sports where contact is allowed, sports where intentional contact is not allowed are termed non-contact. This is not to say that people who call them non-contact sports are naive enough to think that there is no contact throughout the course of a game.

Intentional contact is illegal in basketball. It is not in soccer. That's all I wanted to say and is sure as hell all I'm asserting. As you rightly say, I have no clue about basketball. That said, it seems as if I've taught you something.

Edit: I could have quoted the rules ages ago but you getting het up enough to underpin the opposing argument by calling someone on the interweb a new and fresh turd greatly entertains me.
    ........and I was waiting for teh googling.

What is considered illegal in basketball (the intentional fouls) are part of the strategy of the game.

This is where your book sense (or googlemeistering) doesn't meet up with your common sense.

You see I've played the game. I know your not allowed to push a person to steal the ball. You've added nothing.

Read up on fouls and their application and get back to me.

Also download a video of someone getting a blind-side pick and tell me about contact.

A posting player is allowed to back up to an opposing player. They just can't knock him down or "dislodge" him.

I was the one who established fouls as gaining an advantage for a team. I never said basketball was a full contact sport.

I said it was contact sport and it is.

If you want to technical, in soccer you are not allowed to hold, push, kick, trip, bludgeon opponents either so what are you talking about? Any legal contact is incidental.

In that case neither is a contact sport.

I think contact sports involve contact. They don't have to involve tackling ffs.

Saying basketball it is not is like grouping it with tennis.
    Last edited by Busyman; 05-13-2005 at 02:23 PM.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

6. Sports Club   -   #66
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    tackling is contact, no doubt about that.

and why do americans have such a big problem with research?

7. Sports Club   -   #67
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Oooh, how polite

Quote Originally Posted by Busy
    I was the one who established fouls as gaining an advantage for a team. I never said basketball was a full contact sport.
    I've already demonstrated that full contact is tautological hence to distinguish where intentional contact is allowed it makes sense. You're arguing semantics, which is pointless.
    If you want to technical, in soccer you are not allowed to hold, push, kick, trip, bludgeon opponents either so what are you talking about? Any legal contact is incidental
    That's just the thing; it's not incidental, it's intentional. That's the difference because it's perfectly legal. Also in soccer you are allowed to push, kick and trip your opponents. That's what happens, tho' not every time, when you make a legal tackle.

Now, I've not quoted the rest because either I agree or you've misunderstood what I wrote. Suffice is to say that my original, and only, assertion was that intentional contact is NOT allowed in basketball but is allowed in soccer -- quoting the rules established what I supposed.

That's really all I'm interested in, it's been borne out so I'm completely satisfied
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

8. Sports Club   -   #68
    Oooh, how polite

I've already demonstrated that full contact is tautological hence to distinguish where intentional contact is allowed it makes sense. You're arguing semantics, which is pointless.
    If you want to technical, in soccer you are not allowed to hold, push, kick, trip, bludgeon opponents either so what are you talking about? Any legal contact is incidental
    That's just the thing; it's not incidental, it's intentional. That's the difference because it's perfectly legal. Also in soccer you are allowed to push, kick and trip your opponents. That's what happens, tho' not every time, when you make a legal tackle.

Now, I've not quoted the rest because either I agree or you've misunderstood what I wrote. Suffice is to say that my original, and only, assertion was that intentional contact is NOT allowed in basketball but is allowed in soccer -- quoting the rules established what I supposed.

That's really all I'm interested in, it's been borne out so I'm completely satisfied
    You still must play the ball in a legal tackle. If an NBA player blocks a shot and then knocks an opponent down (after blocking and in the same motion) it's considered a blocked shot, not a foul.

You brought up full contact in the first place. I originally had no interest in arguing it tbh.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

9. Sports Club   -   #69
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Oooh, how polite

You still must play the ball in a legal tackle. If an NBA player blocks a shot and then knocks an opponent down (after blocking and in the same motion) it's considered a blocked shot, not a foul.

You brought up full contact in the first place. I originally had no interest in arguing it tbh.
    I only brought it up to illustrate why I, and others, don't use it.

Now, to tackle a player, the object is to get the ball. So of course the tackler has to play the ball, this goes without saying. The incidental contact you refer to isn't a parallel because intentional contact before, during or after a tackle is still allowed in soccer. This is not the case with the other.

I'm tired of this now, obviously intentional contact is allowed in soccer and isn't in basketball, you disputing it my point is futile because it's written in the rules.

10. Sports Club   -   #70

I only brought it up to illustrate why I, and others, don't use it.

Now, to tackle a player, the object is to get the ball. So of course the tackler has to play the ball, this goes without saying. The incidental contact you refer to isn't a parallel because intentional contact before, during or after a tackle is still allowed in soccer. This is not the case with the other.

I'm tired of this now, obviously intentional contact is allowed in soccer and isn't in basketball, you disputing it my point is futile because it's written in the rules.
    In the rules of soccer, intentional contact before the ball is not legal. It is allowed by refs.

How could you tire of something that you intentionally made comment about just to get a response. Oh yeah, I've peeped that long ago.

For one thing, a tackle in football and soccer are entirely different. In football, it's intent is to knock a player down. In soccer it's stealing the ball....if the opposing player is knocked off balance during this...so be it. Seems incidental.

Player to player contact in a sport that involves that contact in it's strategy and affects outcome makes that sport a contact sport.

Tennis - no
    Football - yes
    Soccer - yes
    Bowling - no
    Golf - no
    Basketball - yes

It's you who argue semantics.

You obviously don't understand the game of basketball yet I understand soccer. That much is captainobvious.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast