Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Peterson given death

kAb's Avatar Poster
    http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...0404804.htm?1c
    Jury recommends death for Scott Peterson

BRIAN SKOLOFF

Associated Press

REDWOOD CITY, Calif. - A jury decided Monday that Scott Peterson should be put to death for murdering his eight-months pregnant wife Laci, whose Christmas Eve disappearance two years ago formed the basis for a legal drama that has captivated the nation ever since.

The jury returned its verdict on the third day of deliberations and after seven days of tearful testimony in the penalty phase of the trial. The jury had two options in deciding the 32-year-old fertilizer salesman's fate: life in prison without parole or death by injection.

Peterson clenched his jaw when the verdict was read and leaned over to speak with his attorney, Mark Geragos, but showed no other emotion.

Laci Peterson's mother, Sharon Rocha, cried, her lips quivering. Scott Peterson's mother, Jackie, showed no apparent emotion.

A crowd of several hundred gathered outside the San Mateo County Courthouse broke out in cheers and scattered applause after the sentencing verdict was broadcast. The scene was reminiscent of the guilty verdicts Nov. 12, when about 1,000 people descended on the streets outside, most of them erupting in cheers to show their support for the jury's decision.

"If there was anyone to have the death penalty apply to, it's Scott Peterson. He's the example why the death penalty exists," said Dave Ogden, a 38-year-old painter from Sunnyvale who was among those outside the courthouse.

In arguing for death, prosecutors called Peterson "the worst kind of monster" and said he was undeserving of sympathy. The defense begged jurors to "go back there and please spare his life."

Judge Alfred A. Delucchi will formally sentence Peterson on Feb. 25. He can recommend a lesser sentence of life in prison without parole, but it's rare for judges to reduce a jury's verdict in a capital case.

In a brief news conference after the verdict, Geragos said he was "very disappointed."

"Obviously, we plan on pursuing every and all appeals, motions for a new trial and everything else," he said.

The decision came almost two years to the date after the disappearance of Laci Peterson, a 27-year-old substitute teacher who married her college sweetheart and was soon to be the proud mother of a baby boy named Conner. The story set off a tabloid frenzy as suspicion began to swirl around Scott Peterson, who claimed to have been fishing by himself on Christmas Eve and was carrying on an affair with a massage therapist at the time.

The remains of Laci and the fetus washed ashore about four months later, just a few miles from where Peterson claims to have gone fishing in San Francisco Bay. The case went to trial in June, and Peterson was convicted a month ago on two counts of murder.

All the while, the case never stopped making headlines.

The case graced more People magazine covers than any murder investigation in the publication's history. Court TV thrived during the case, providing countless hours of coverage on the investigation and gavel-to-gavel commentary throughout the trial. CNN's Larry King hosted show after show with pundits picking apart legal strategies, testimony and even Scott Peterson's demeanor.

Trial regulars showed up by the hundreds to participate in the daily lottery for the coveted 27 public seats inside the courtroom.

Peterson will now be sent to death row at San Quentin State Prison outside San Francisco, the infamous lockup where prisoners gaze out small cell windows overlooking the same bay where Laci Peterson's body was discarded.

Peterson still might not be executed for decades, if ever. That is because California's death row has grown to house more than 640 condemned men and women since the state brought back capital punishment in 1978. Since then, only 10 executions have been carried out. It can take years for even the first phase of the appeals process to begin.

California's last execution was on Jan. 29, 2002, when Stephen Wayne Anderson - described by supporters as the poet laureate of Death Row - was put to death by lethal injection for the Memorial Day 1980 murder of 81-year-old Elizabeth Lyman during a break-in at her home.

As many as three murderers face possible execution in 2005, said Department of Corrections spokeswoman Margot Bach.

Prosecutors spent months portraying Peterson as a monster, a cheating husband and cold-blooded killer who wooed his lover even as police searched for his missing wife. They said he wanted to murder Laci to escape marriage and fatherhood for the pleasures of the freewheeling bachelor life.

The prosecution put on a short, but emotional case in the penalty phase of the trial, calling just four witnesses.

"Every morning when I get up I cry," Sharon Rocha said during the penalty phase. "It takes me a long time just to be able to get out of the house ... I miss her. I want to know my grandson. I want Laci to be a mother. I want to hear her called mom."

Rocha would later rise halfway out of her seat and scream at Scott Peterson, who was seated impassively at the defense table: "Divorce was always an option," she said. "Not murder!"

Defense attorneys argued during the trial's guilt phase that Peterson was framed and that the real killers dumped Laci's body in the water after learning of Peterson's widely publicized alibi. The defense fought hard to save Peterson's life, calling about 40 witnesses over seven days in the penalty phase.

They seized on anything from Scott Peterson's past in attempt to spare his life, including testimony that he never cheated on the golf course or lost his temper.

They told jurors of the Scott Peterson who was a smiling, snuggling toddler. He was the high school golf captain who tutored younger students. He sang to seniors on Sundays and once broke up a dog fight. He cared for mentally retarded children. He was the highly motivated son who worked his way through college.

And finally, he was the young professional who married the woman he fell in love with in college.

"I wish there was a phrase that I could give you that could turn this around and make you believe there is good, there is real, real good in this person," defense attorney Pat Harris said during closing arguments. "But I don't have that phrase ... that's up to you to decide."
    Living in the bay area, this hits home for me. I'm not sure how I feel about it, on the one hand, Laci didn't deserve to die, and neither did her child, but is death the right way to go?
    Last edited by kAb; 12-13-2004 at 10:59 PM.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    NikkiD's Avatar Yen?
    It's about time. In my opinion he deserves the death penalty, if not for his wife then for what he did to an innocent, defenseless, unborn child.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    krome's Avatar triplesix clubhouse
    may the have mercy on your soul scott....

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Not yet you dip shit

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel

Question Mark

Quote Originally Posted by NikkiD
    It's about time. In my opinion he deserves the death penalty, if not for his wife then for what he did to an innocent, defenseless, unborn child.
    my thoughts exactly.

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by NikkiD
    I would echo your sentiment doubly, Nik.

There is an adjunct subject worthy of discussion in another thread-perhaps in a day or two.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    spinningfreemanny's Avatar I'm everything you want
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    I would echo your sentiment doubly, Nik.

There is an adjunct subject worthy of discussion in another thread-perhaps in a day or two.
    Oh, it's coming, j2...I feel it.

If the jury thinks he should die, I'm perfectly fine with that.
    May this provide any consolation to the family.
    Do you know everything? do you know 3% of everything? Could it be that what you don't believe in is in the other 97%?

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    RPerry's Avatar Synergy BT Rep: Bad Rep
    Yes.... He deserves this punishment. He was the one responsible for protecting his wife and child, yet he took their life. I have no problem with the State of California taking his.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    VIP...just ask any
    death penatly?.... cmon, think about it. nowadays the death is painless and quick.
    I think he should be put in prison for the rest of his life, with regular shower gang bangs and daily beatings from the rest of the prison population.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast