Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is PCI-X availiable for AGP mobos?

silent h3ro's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    I heard that there was something that u can attatch to ur AGP slot to turn it into PCI-X. Is this true?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    i doubt it....wouldnt that be the same as saying there is something you can attatch to your pci slot to make it agp?
    Last edited by Mr. Elmo; 12-20-2004 at 06:45 AM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    No, it is not.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    The reason they made PCI-X is because it runs much faster and the slot can hold more bandwidth. So making a AGP ad on would only slow the £500 card you jus brought down to £100 standards.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by peerzyboy
    The reason they made PCI-X is because it runs much faster and the slot can hold more bandwidth. So making a AGP ad on would only slow the £500 card you jus brought down to £100 standards.

HUH????

the PCI-express (PCI-X is apperntly something else, to keep everything from getting complicated) card wouldnt be slowed down at all........ since the AGP bandwith isnt even fully utilized.......

Quote Originally Posted by tomshardware
    In consideration of our theoretical forecasts and all the question marks we've raised, it's hard to reach a conclusion. On the one hand, the new bus opens the door for many new possibilities in the world of graphics cards. On the other hand, it will take some time before the casual user will see any advantages in the form of improved performance. 3D games aren't designed to utilize the greater transfer rates yet, and even if they did, the question remains how much of an impact the greater bandwidth of PCI Express will really have. Sure, more and more calculations are being offloaded from the CPU to the graphics processor, but the CPU and memory would still need to (be able to) generate 4GB per second of data first and then transfer it via the bus. The same holds true for video upstreams - the system memory will be hard-pressed to keep up. Even the newest hard disks can only write an average of 50MB/s, a data rate that even PCI writes could handle with ease. And as far as real-time video editing is concerned - the CPU will still need to make a few calculations every now and then - and again the memory will probably prove to be the bottleneck. Continuous data transfers at 4GB/s look set to remain a fantasy for a while to come.
    the ting is, there are GFX cards (dont know which it where) with a GPU made for PCI-ex, and a bridge to AGP for the AGP version of the card..... but i cant really remember which it was.......

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm
    (PCI-X is apperntly something else,

Ahhh i thought he ment PCI-Express.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm
    HUH????

the PCI-express (PCI-X is apperntly something else, to keep everything from getting complicated) card wouldnt be slowed down at all........ since the AGP bandwith isnt even fully utilized.......

the ting is, there are GFX cards (dont know which it where) with a GPU made for PCI-ex, and a bridge to AGP for the AGP version of the card..... but i cant really remember which it was.......
    So this means PCI - X wont be needed for a while? I was a little worried because I just got a new computer with only AGP 8x and its supposed to last me a while so I dident want to be fecked when ur gonna need PCI X.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Gam3Guy
    So this means PCI - X wont be needed for a while? I was a little worried because I just got a new computer with only AGP 8x and its supposed to last me a while so I dident want to be fecked when ur gonna need PCI X.
    If those are the specs in your sig i would have made a few changes to be hones... that graphics card is going to last you under a year before you star seeing lag.

I have

3.4GHz Pentium 4 wih HT
    1gb PC3200 Ram
    5700 256mb

And i still get small ammouns of Lag on everything top on FarCry. i would ahve gone for a 9800 Pro at least really, there only £100 or so these days.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gam3Guy
    hate to say this, but the next gen of GFX cards will prolly be PCI-ex only.......

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    OMFG I hate myself now. When is that next generation coming? And @ peerzyboy - I already had this gfx card so I used it in my new PC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast