Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ATX power connector is burnt :|

tesco's Avatar woowoo
    I've had problems with the computer freezing for months now, and have been to lazy to try and fix it until now.
    What happens is that, at random times, i hear a click from inside the computer (i'm 99% certain it's teh sound of my hard drive shutting off\coming on) and then a few seconds later the computer freezes. Exact same as samurai described in this thread.

So today I opened up the computer, hoping that it might be just a loose hard drive wire or something.
    I look around and see nothing so i started taking teh parts out just to clean the computer (it's really dusty as i haven't opened the computer since the summer).

When i took off the ATX power connector i noticed that 1 of the pins, number 19 (+5vDC) according to this site.

It's all brown around that one pin, and the one next to it (20) is slightly burnt but i think it's just transfered heat from pin 19 over to number 20.

Also the motherboard connector that this wire plugs into is slightly burnt but again probably from the heat transfer off of that one pin.

So what do you guys think? freezing related to this burnt pin? What could caus ethe burning?
    i have no idea if this is recent or happened a long time ago since my computer's not been opened in soo long.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    The only thing I can think of is replacing it, but I'm not sure how much these cost?

If it's as cheap as, say a ide cable then go for it.

as i'm typing this that noise just came back so i hope mine isn't about to die on me. i'll check out mine in a min when i shut down. see if mine are burnt.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Ya, well, if it does keep freezing, check your atx connector.

me and my dad are going to the store i bought the power supply from to see if they'll replace the end (if it's even possible). We tried ourselves but couldn't get the wires out.

I'm trying really hard to make the computer freeze again so i can see if it's burnt anymore.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco_2004
    I'm trying really hard to make the computer freeze again so i can see if it's burnt anymore.

Foldering@Home should do it if games do. If not Far Cry is a resource hig. Put all settings up to highest and attempt to play it. Or same with Doom 3.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    A loose connection would cause the freezing and the burnt connector.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by peerzyboy
    Foldering@Home should do it if games do. If not Far Cry is a resource hig. Put all settings up to highest and attempt to play it. Or same with Doom 3.
    folding@home is always going, so that could be what's doing it.

but right now i'm folding, defragmenting, online, and i'm about to start doing virus and spyware scans too.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Don't defrag while you are trying to sort out a connection problem. You could lose data.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234
    Don't defrag while you are trying to sort out a connection problem. You could lose data.

Not froze yet.

Would the loose connection caus ethe burning of the atx connector?
    im thinking there must have been some dust in there or something, causing bad connections.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco_2004
    Would the loose connection caus ethe burning of the atx connector?
    Yes. I already said that.

Most likely not caused by dust but a weak connector to begin with or not completely inserted.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    can u see the connection was lose?

if not, go back to the store, theyll have to replace it, and if your mobo is damaged, theyll have to replace that to......... at least, thats the way it goes in europe, since the PSU supplier sold bad equipment (unless he can prove it wasnt their fault, but hey, whats gonna cost more )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast