Thread: please help with screen resolution and keyboard prob

hi. im writing by using the on-screen keyboard. After taking everything out of the back of the cpu, including the keyboard, i found that everything i put back was fine except for the keyboard, which did not respond at all. i would just reinstall windows, but the keyboard is needed for that. also, after the keyboard didnt respond, i updated my computer with windows update. that gave me about 12 urgent items, but i decided to update the nvidia drivers. after i restarted the computer, all the graphics were horrible. Now there are 4 bits color instead of my usual 32. Also, the resolution had become 640x480. When i boot up, there is a blurb in the lower right hand corner saying something like 'the screen quality is very low. click here to change it' . When i do, it gives me some error like 'cannot get certain info from drivers'. What can i do? thanks

2. Lounge   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    This should ahve been in software\hardware world.

Go to www.nvidia.com and download the latest drivers, then install them.
    Restart.

is the keyboard USB or ps/2? either way, is it plugged in right/to the correct port?
    and if it's USB, do other USB devices work?

try right click my comp>manage>device manager (on left)>cright click>scan for hardware changes.
    this should detect teh keyboard. if not, then maybe you broke the keyboard.

edit: actually, if the keyboard doesn't work in the BIOS either then skip that last part that i said.
    Last edited by tesco; 12-20-2004 at 09:16 PM.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Legolas
    hi. im writing by using the on-screen keyboard. After taking everything out of the back of the cpu, including the keyboard, i found that everything i put back was fine except for the keyboard, which did not respond at all. i would just reinstall windows, but the keyboard is needed for that. also, after the keyboard didnt respond, i updated my computer with windows update. that gave me about 12 urgent items, but i decided to update the nvidia drivers. after i restarted the computer, all the graphics were horrible. Now there are 4 bits color instead of my usual 32. Also, the resolution had become 640x480. When i boot up, there is a blurb in the lower right hand corner saying something like 'the screen quality is very low. click here to change it' . When i do, it gives me some error like 'cannot get certain info from drivers'. What can i do? thanks

typing all that with the on screen keyboard, must have been a proper misson
    Round here we say birds not bitches

4. Lounge   -   #4
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    If the comp came with a recovery disk get the drivers from that/them. The screen resolution sounds like the monitor is not a plug and play jobbie.... is it a Dell by any chance?.... anyway it all seems to be driver problems.
    Has the computer booted in safe mode ?

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.