Thread: laptop speed problems

Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    ive just noticed my laptop isnt getting up to full speed, running folding at home it goes up to 1.4ghz, (133fsb) but it should go up to 2ghz(166 fsb)
    the proccessor is a athlon 2600 and the laptop is an acer aspire 1355lc. has anyone heard of similar problems.
    i also noticed the vcore is a 1.3v, when sisoft sandra says it can go up to 1.65v

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    check your BIOS settings.......

else, is your battery ok?

it might be old and giving off less voltage or somehing.....

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    the laptoip is only a few months old, checked the bios and updated, you cant really change anything in bios anyway.
    and its running off the mains anyway.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    well laptops are designed to not run at their full speed if you dont need that speed.......

maybe cause f@h is set to a low priority it doesnt use the full speed....... try setting it to a higher priority, or some other program that really stresses your comp (prime95)

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    ill try prime 95,
    i know that the vary speeds. my old laptop went to full speed no problems
    but it doesnt seem to want to up the fsb to 166 to give the extra pefrormance.
    and folding is set at full wack

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    Laptops usually vary the speed by altering the multiplier, not the FSB.

For the mobile chip I think the FSB is correct at 133MHz but the multiplier should be x15 to give 2GHz. In comparison the desktop chip runs at 166x12.5 (2083MHz), with the older 2600 desktops running at 133x16 (2133MHz).

Also, I think the multiplier is dependant on the core voltage, although I don't recollect 1.65 being the high point. I can't be sure about that though.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    mines varys by changes the multiplier and fsb, it can change from 266 to 333, the max multiplier is 10.5, and 10.5 x 66 (diference) = 660, which is approximately the difference in speed i am missing, it should run at 2ghz and its a 1.4 the now,
    the above info was taken from sisoft sandra. and the quoted high and low vcore is given as 1.3/1.65v