Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Santa doomed?

DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday

Smile

Santa Workshop Said Under Threat from N.Pole Thaw

Wed Dec 22,10:41 AM ET

By Alister Doyle, Environment Correspondent

OSLO (Reuters) - Santa may have to move his workshop from the North Pole because global warming is thawing the ice beneath his elves' and reindeers' feet.

"Santa's workshop is in dire straits. The platform for the workshop is melting," Stefan Norris, of the WWF environmental group's Arctic Program, said on Wednesday.

An eight-nation report by 250 scientists last month predicted the Arctic Ocean could be ice-free in summer by 2100 because of a build-up of heat-trapping gases in the atmosphere, mainly from burning fossil fuels in cars or factories.

"Santa may have to move from the North Pole within our children's lifetimes," Norris said. Young people learn that Father Christmas' workshop produces millions of gifts delivered by Santa on a flying, reindeer-drawn sleigh.

Hollywood movies like Warner Bros.' "The Polar Express" bolster belief that Father Christmas lives at the North Pole even though Nordic nations Finland, Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Iceland all argue they are his home.

Superman also has an icy retreat, the "Fortress of Solitude," near the North Pole that could be under threat in a warmer world.

A Danish official suggested rescuing Santa by building a giant floating ice rink for the workshop if the Pole thaws.

"Why don't we build some electrical facilities to ensure the ice stays on the North Pole for him?" said Alan Boldt, spokesman of the Danish Ministry of Science. "This should be a subject for the United Nations (news - web sites)."

He said Danish group Vestas could build windmills to provide Santa with power.

Copenhagen says Santa's real home is Greenland but reckons that a Danish territorial claim to the North Pole in October clinches its case. Sovereignty over the Pole could let Denmark search for oil and gas as the ice recedes.

"Doesn't he already speak Danish?" Boldt said frostily when asked if Father Christmas would be forced to learn Danish if Denmark won international recognition of its claim to the Pole.

Last month's Arctic report said the region is warming twice as fast as the rest of the globe, partly because dark ground or water, once uncovered, soaks up more heat than ice or snow.

Finland has had most success from Santa, with about 500,000 visitors a year to its Christmas center in Rovaniemi in Lapland. "Maybe Santa's already moved to Rovaniemi," Norris said.
    Source

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    uNz[i]'s Avatar Out of order
    Now this is just sad.

Scientists: "The polar icecaps are melting... we need to act on this or the planet and everyone on it is doomed"

The Public: "Meh... who cares?"

Scientists: "Okay then, but if the ice at the North Pole melts, Santa's workshop will be destroyed too, and that'll mean no more Christmas presents..."

The Public: "Oh no! WE GOTTA SAVE SANTA!!

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Arm's Avatar Poster
    People are dumbasses.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    Quote Originally Posted by uNz[i]
    Now this is just sad.

Scientists: "The polar icecaps are melting... we need to act on this or the planet and everyone on it is doomed"

The Public: "Meh... who cares?"

Scientists: "Okay then, but if the ice at the North Pole melts, Santa's workshop will be destroyed too, and that'll mean no more Christmas presents..."

The Public: "Oh no! WE GOTTA SAVE SANTA!!

I did post it as a joke not a serious topic

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Oh now! WE GOTTA SAVE SANTA!!

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    I'm more concerned about Superman's Fortress of Solitude myself.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    i'm more concerned about Santa's stockpile of WMDs. also, i think Santa's enslavement of the little elfen people might count as a human rights violation.
    Last edited by 3RA1N1AC; 12-24-2004 at 02:29 AM.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    uNz[i]'s Avatar Out of order
    Quote Originally Posted by DanB
    I did post it as a joke not a serious topic
    I'm sorry, I just went back and reread the article and tried to see the funny side, but couldn't.
    Guess I must be ignorant.

So perhaps you smart guys could clear up a couple of questions this thread has raised...

Please explain to me what's funny about:
    a) The irreversable damage humanity is doing to the environment?
    b) People's apathy regarding this global threat?

Seems to me that the polar ice caps melting is an incredibly serious issue.
    It saddens me that concerned parties need to resort to fairy tales to get people to act.
    Last edited by uNz[i]; 12-24-2004 at 02:54 AM.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Santa and Superman are not fairy tales.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Arm's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by 3RA1N1AC
    Santa and Superman are not fairy tales.
    Fairies wear boots and you gotta believe me. I see an evil face on my wall when I turn the lights off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast