View Poll Results: When disciplining my cat...

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • He knows that he gets disciplined IF he bites my arm (2 actions happen together)

3 25.00%
  • He knows that he gets disciplined BECAUSE he bites my arm (1 action happens because of the other)

9 75.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Animals, do they know why?

dwightfry's Avatar Poster
    When my cat bites my arm, and tap it on the nose. When I see he is about to bite my arm, I raise my hand. His ears go back and sometimes he bites my arm, and sometimes he backs off.

My question

Does he know that if he bites my arm, he also gets hit.
    or
    Does he know that he is getting hit because he is biting my arm
    Last edited by dwightfry; 11-26-2004 at 08:26 PM.
    Life should come with backround music
    -Dwight Fry-
    Coconut, the desert's onion
    -Dwight Fry-
    Why stand when you can lean, why lean when you can sit, why sit when you can lounge, why lounge when you can lie
    -Dwight Fry-
    www.BrownSugarStudios.com

2. Lounge   -   #2
    NikkiD's Avatar Yen?
    I wish I knew the answer to that one, my cats will climb up on the table, and I spray water at their butts when they do. They will jump down, lick off the water, and then do it again. If I don't notice right away, they'll meow to announce that they're on the table. I think the male actually likes being sprayed, as he now will just sit and take it until I pick him up and put him on the floor.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    zedaxax's Avatar ___________
    I am dog lover
    and regard kicking cats
    as the only solution to any thing that looks likea cat

I read somewhere that cats like fish
    so
    do you look like a fish since your cat likes to eat you?

4. Lounge   -   #4
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Cats are hard to train, it would be easier if you learnt when not to put your arm near
    Last edited by vidcc; 11-26-2004 at 09:52 PM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    I read somewhere that dogs are part of the pack and you are the pack leader whereas cats tend to consider you as their human. This approach to cat psychology explains why they are difficult to train and why they looked peeved if you attempt it.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    I don't think either is true. I don't think a cat has a fucking clue about cause and effect, I also think this is true:

A newly discovered chapter in the Book of Genesis has provided the answer to the question "Where do dogs and cats come from?"

1. Adam said, "Lord, when I was in the Garden, you walked with me every day. Now I do not see you anymore. I am lonesome here and it is difficult for me to remember how much you love me."

2. And God said, "No problem! I will create a companion for you that will be with you forever and who will be a reflection of my love for you, so that you will love me even when you cannot see me. Regardless of how selfish or childish or unlovable you may be, this new companion will accept you as you are and will love you in spite of yourself."

3. And God created a new animal to be a companion for Adam. And it was a good animal. And God was pleased. And the new animal was pleased to be with Adam and he wagged his tail.

4. And Adam said, "Lord, I have already named all the animals in the Kingdom and I cannot think of a name for this new animal." And God said, "No problem! Because I have created this new animal to be a reflection of my love for you, his name will be a reflection of my own name, and you will call him DOG."

5. And Dog lived with Adam and was a companion to him and loved him. And Adam was comforted. And God was pleased. And Dog was content and wagged his tail.

6. After a while, it came to pass that an angel came to the Lord and said, "Lord, Adam has become filled with pride. He struts and preens like a peacock and he believes he is worthy of adoration. Dog has indeed taught him that he is loved, but perhaps too well."

7. And the Lord said, "No problem! I will create a companion for him who will be with him forever and who will see him as he is. The companion will remind him of his limitations, so he will know that he is not always worthy of adoration." And God created CAT to be a companion to Adam.

8. And Cat would not obey Adam. And when Adam gazed into Cat's eyes, he was reminded that he was not the supreme being. And Adam learned humility. And God was pleased. And Adam was greatly improved. And Dog was happy. And Cat didn't give a shit one way or the other.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    brenda's Avatar Reborn again BT Rep: +3
    Cats know when they are being naughty they just don't really care. They respond much better if you TEACH them rather than TRAIN them.

Biting is a form of play, if a cat has been seperated from its mother and siblings at too young an age it will not have learnt the limits of 'play' and you will have to teach him yourself. By drawing away or striking back when he bits your arm you are continuing the 'play', what you need to do is ignore him, he will get bored when he gets no reaction from biting.

You also need to spend at least 20 minutes twice a day playing with a cat because they are such curious creatures that they will go and find their own fun otherwise, and it will usually involve knocking things off shelves.
    This fate is worse than death. Condemned to live out existence in a vessel incapable of sustaining my true glory. How am I to function with such limitation? - Illyria

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by brenda
    ...and it will usually involve knocking things off shelves.

Oh, I know...I know all too well.
    -Dwight Fry-
    -Dwight Fry-
    Why stand when you can lean, why lean when you can sit, why sit when you can lounge, why lounge when you can lie
    -Dwight Fry-

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by barbarossa
    A newly discovered chapter in the Book of Genesis has provided the answer to the question "Where do dogs and cats come from..."

...And Cat would not obey Adam. And when Adam gazed into Cat's eyes, he was reminded that he was not the supreme being. And Adam learned humility. And God was pleased. And Adam was greatly improved. And Dog was happy. And Cat didn't give a shit one way or the other.
    That was pretty interesting. Seems real enough for me.
    Last edited by Barbarossa; 04-03-2007 at 11:54 AM.
    -Dwight Fry-
    -Dwight Fry-
    -Dwight Fry-

10. Lounge   -   #10
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    Have you seen/heard Eddie Izzard's skit about cats?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast