Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Asia Quake

cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    what the hell are you talkin about much? that's not even funny

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #132
    muchspl2
    I thought he was still banned, I can't keep up, but some members take moderating a internet message board too seriously.
    just saying.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #133
    Didn't know he was banned.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #134
    mogadishu's Avatar {}"_++()_><.,{}}[":+
    This is really pissing me off.. why cant the red cross or something just say they think 250k people are dead or something.. this is feeling like a basketball game.. I know these places are remote, but they must be able to come up with some number.
    signature removed, check the boardrules.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #135
    Well if they were just supposed to say it, it'd be lying because they would just pull a number out of their ass. Anyways, lets just wait and see what happens.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #136
    mogadishu's Avatar {}"_++()_><.,{}}[":+
    yea i guess, but you feel so awful and say to yourself.. shit 80,000 people are dead.. then the next day you feel worse cus 120,000 people are dead. I guess its more than i just want the number to stop rather than what the number it is.
    signature removed, check the boardrules.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #137
    muchspl2
    I fear the grand tottal

8. The Drawing Room   -   #138
    I think everyone fears the grand total much, may god have mercy on every living being on this planet.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #139

Dry

Well, invetibility is one son of a... anyways:

source: http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/asiapc...ake/index.html

Tsunami death toll tops 135,000
    World Bank gives $250m, European nations boost pledges

JAKARTA, Indonesia (CNN) -- The world was stepping up efforts to aid millions of survivors of the devastating tsunami that swept across southern Asia as the death toll rose above 135,000.

U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan appealed for the international community to come together to help the victims, and several European nations said they were increasing their donations in response.

Britain boosted its pledge from $30 million to $95 million, and the World Bank added $250 million to the $250 million pledged by the international community.

Annan welcomed the aid and said even more would be needed. A donors conference is planned for January 11.

Canada has announced a debt moratorium for tsunami-affected countries, and other wealthy creditor nations are expected to follow suit.

Meanwhile, a U.S. delegation headed by Secretary of State Colin Powell and Florida Gov. Jeb Bush -- brother of President George W. Bush -- will travel to southern Asia Sunday to assess humanitarian needs.

"This is an unprecedented global catastrophe that requires an unprecedented global response," Annan said.

"It has registered deeply in the consciousness and conscience of the world as we seek to grasp the speed, the force and the magnitude with which it happened.

"The impact will be felt for a long time to come."

The regional death toll rose to 135,263 on Friday after Tamil Tiger rebels in Sri Lanka said 14,000 were killed in rebel-controlled areas in the north and east of the island.

Sri Lankan officials report at least 27,008 deaths in non-rebel-held areas, putting the island's total death toll at 41,008.

Indonesian officials said nearly 80,000 died on Sumatra, the island whose western coast was first hit by the massive wave triggered by Sunday's magnitude 9.0 underwater earthquake.

There are more than 4,000 dead in Thailand and at least 10,000 deaths in India.

India's toll is almost certain to rise as emergency teams reach the remote Andaman and Nicobar islands, closer to the earthquake's epicenter. Few of the islands rise higher than 12 feet above sea level, and the southernmost islands were swamped by the tsunami.

Jan Egeland, the U.N.'s emergency relief coordinator, said the relief effort is monumental -- likely the largest and most expensive in history.

"We're still finding places in northern Sumatra and elsewhere where there are many, many dead," Egeland said.

In Sweden, flags will fly at half-staff Saturday as the nation observes a day of mourning for its 44 victims. Prime Minister Goeran Persson attended a memorial service Thursday in Stockholm with the royal family and said Sweden's toll could exceed 1,000.

There are 2,500 Swedes missing in Thailand, most of them backpackers believed to be in Phuket or Khao Lang.

With disaster assessment and aid teams still trying to assess remote areas, the scope of the disaster is still difficult to grasp.

Indonesian-based British conservationist Mike Griffiths flew over the western coast of Sumatra and said it was "like a nuclear blast has leveled the area."

Between Meulaboh and Chalang, about 60 miles north, no villages are left, he said. Calong, a town of 13,000, has "vaporized," he said.

John Budd, a spokesman for UNICEF in Indonesia, said the infrastructure damage in Aceh province in Sumatra's north has made distributing aid especially difficult.

"UNICEF has an office which could have easily started, but that office has been wrecked," he said.

The 9.0-magnitude earthquake struck about 7 a.m. Sunday (7 p.m. ET), knocking down buildings along the shore, up to Aceh's capital, Banda Aceh, on the northern point.

More than a million people in Sri Lanka were forced from their homes -- and nearly half of those no longer have homes.

Malaysia reported 66 deaths and six missing, but Deputy Prime Minister Mohamed Najib said flooding in the Pinang and Kedah states was extensive.

More dead were reported in Myanmar (formerly Burma), Bangladesh, Tanzania, Somalia and Kenya.

Thousands of the dead remain unidentified, and some officials said decomposition is making identification more difficult.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #140
    UcanRock2's Avatar Phantom Gander
    Quote Originally Posted by muchspl2
    I fear the grand tottal
    Me too ...up to 135,000 and still climbing.
    Last edited by UcanRock2; 12-31-2004 at 01:41 PM.