Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Important Questions

Site Owner
    Hi All. In the wake of IKE stepping down as an admin, I would like to ask two important questions:

#1, should we promote anyone to admin status in order to help out with everyday tasks? I assume Entity would no longer like to be an admin either. If so, Who?

#2 I hear people complaining that I should be doing more. What is it that you feel I could be doing to make this place a more enjoyable forum? In the past few weeks I have purchased two new skins, had them installed, Created a couple new folders and added some features to help bring more traffic, added the site to numerous directories, fixed the main entry page, etc. People seem to continue to look at me as the bad guy, and in my opinion some members are extremely hard to please. Having said that, there is always room for improvement, and I would like to ask what I could improve at.

Thank you in advance for your responses
    Brian

2. Everything Related to the Board   -   #2
    Quote Originally Posted by rookiecrd1
    Hi All. In the wake of IKE stepping down as an admin, I would like to ask two important questions:

#1, should we promote anyone to admin status in order to help out with everyday tasks? I assume Entity would no longer like to be an admin either. If so, Who?
    What happened to Krohn

Admin - Needs to be someone who knows what here doing...

3. Everything Related to the Board   -   #3
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    We need more traffic as was promised by yourself.

If you don't have the ability to do that then get someone who knows how and has the will to do it.

4. Everything Related to the Board   -   #4
    I'm sorry to say it but if you really don't have that much time to support the place, maybe you should consider selling the board to somebody that does have the time and the experience.

Either that or pay somebody to be an admin. IKE rightly recognised that he was carrying the place without any help and with little comeback.
    Last edited by Rick Phlegm; 12-28-2004 at 12:52 AM.

5. Everything Related to the Board   -   #5
    Retired
    Take your time choosing/finding someone that has experience with Vbulletin and is willing to help us (for free).
    I understand it's hard to run a forum like this when you cannot satisfy everyone at the same time, there will always be complaints. Members need to understand it can be very frustrating to read complaints over and over again.
    It's nice to read that people understand being an admin can be difficult.

If you (Brian) have a problem or you don't know how to fix something just ask we will always try to help you.

Ike
    Last edited by {I}{K}{E}; 12-28-2004 at 01:00 AM.

6. Everything Related to the Board   -   #6
    Site Owner
    I have the time right now, and hopefully in the future. I can't do anything if there is nothing to do. If someone needs me to do something or has a suggestion then tell me. Don't just say that I don't have the time to run the forum. Please tell me exactly what I don't have the time to do.

As for Krohn, he is no longer an admin here either.

We need more traffic as was promised by yourself. If you don't have the ability to do that then get someone who knows how and has the will to do it.
    Virtualbody1234 , the traffic has been increasing pretty steadily over the last month and a half. Things take time to kick in. How else do you suggest i increase traffic? You have to understand you don't just go out and say I want more traffic, do a few things and have the forum increase it's traffic by 200% over night. The things I have done have helped a lot, and should continue to help, however you can't expect a miracle. if you have any ideas to increase traffic, feel free to chime in. I am even willing to spend a bit of money if I have to, however I feel that the things I have done are by far better then any other traffic generating tools.

take a look at:
    http://www.alexa.com/data/details/tr...haringtalk.com

as you can see traffic has been up since the end of november. This is primarily due to google finally catching on.

Sorry but I can't pay someone to be an admin as I am not making money running this site.
    Last edited by rookiecrd1; 12-28-2004 at 01:04 AM.

7. Everything Related to the Board   -   #7
    muchspl2
    more traffic would be great. can we start a torrent site now and cash in, what about just expanding the NG section where we can post .nbs
    would generate great traffic if it was hidden (as should be the guides) for members only and updated often for people with news bin accounts.

8. Everything Related to the Board   -   #8
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    How about starting with the problems like getting a database error when posting sometimes but then going back to find the post has gone thorugh?

or pm's not registering when you recieve tthem

or people not being able to log out

or error messages when making saves in the user cp

9. Everything Related to the Board   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by rookiecrd1
    Don't just say that I don't have the time to run the forum. Please tell me exactly what I don't have the time to do.
    It's always you that's saying you don't have the time to be around. You tell us what it is you think you don't have time to do.

As for things to do right now, there's a rather large list of bugs posted in this section to be sorted if there's "nothing to do".

10. Everything Related to the Board   -   #10
    manker's Avatar effendi
    My understanding of an Admin is that they should be capable of maintaining the forum on a technical basis. It is different to being a moderator, which is based more around member management.

Can they not be kept totally separate.

If so then a technically competent individual should be given the job as an admin but have absolutely no responsibility for dealing with the forum as a community - just for maintaining the software that provides a place for us to post our thoughts.

A person who springs to my mind is Rossco. He knows an obscene amount about computers and I think he would do an OK job looking after the functionality of the software here. Right, he is 16 but provided he doesn't get lumbered with dealing with the rants of the more obstreperous among us, isn't expected to move any off-topic posts around and is left to get on the this specific job, I think it will be fine.

There may be other members too but I think the technically competent part is vital. No point promoting someone who thinks IE is a damn good browser, for example.

With regard to the other point, the forum works fine for me, most of the time. I am happy with it. I do appreciate that some folk have problems but I can't say as I've noticed so won't comment. Some extra members would be handy but provided we don't lose more then I'm okay with that too.

The only thing I would say is that IPB seemed to work better for people in general. Would there be any possibility of moving back to that software without losing the proverbial shedful of posts.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast