Thread: Codec shoot-out 2004

Retired
    Welcome ladies and gentleman, to yet another installment of my (in)famous codec comparisons.

It has been a full year since I last looked at a handful of video codecs and how they are suited for typical DVD backup scenarios. We've seen a lot of activity in the codec market in 2004: For one, there are now several H.264 / MPEG-4 AVC (referred to as AVC henceforth) encoders available. With the adoption of AVC as codec for the upcoming high definition DVD formats (be it Blu-ray or HD DVD), as well as its adoption into digital TV standards, I expect to see a lot of movement in that market in the years to come. Microsoft's WMV9 has also been approved for the upcoming high definition DVD formats, and Microsoft is making some inroads into the television business as well, but so far those are proprietary systems and tied to specific geographical areas.

In the MPEG-4 Advanced Simple Profile (referred to as ASP henceforth) area, we have seen major consumer electronic manufacturers release DVD players that can play ASP content (all with the exception of 3 point GMC which rules out the use of XviD's and NeroDigital's GMC for standalone playback). And improvement to existing codecs has been ongoing throughout the year.....
    More @ http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/codecs-104-1.htm

Conclusion @ http://www.doom9.org/codecs-104-5.htm

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    In a nutshell, the winners: Nero Digital AVC and XviD

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    keyser_soze's Avatar Poster
    Is there a way of using nero recode to convert to Nero Digital AVC when it does'nt allow copywrite protected disc? I tried using it to convert some home movie footage from a dvd back to avi and it would'nt even accept that.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    holzmichl
    anydvd should help

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    cheers I'll give it a try.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    I gave it a try and liked it

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Afronaut's Avatar Xenu
    Quote Originally Posted by keyser_soze