Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OK, I'm confuzzled....

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Odd problem has popped up and I can't think of a solution (assuming there is one).

Just transferred my rig into the CM Stacker (quick and dirty install just to see what was what) and now it will not power off properly.
    Windows closes OK, the monitor shuts off, but the PSU continues to run.
    The only way to shut her off is with the main switch on the back of the PSU itself.

I made no BIOS changes, the hibernate function is disabled in Windows and I can't think of a setting that would enable this weird behaviour.

I won't have an alternate PSU to put in until next week sometime (Antec NeoPower on the way...Ultra X-connect currently in use), so I can't test to see if the PSU is the culprit, but that possibility seems remote anyway.

It seems likely that the motherboard is just failing to send the proper shutdown signal to the power supply, but this has never happened before so I'm hoping there is another explanation.

I'm open to suggestions.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Strange. I haven't seen that before.

Try clearing the CMOS. Maybe the moving it around caused a brief disconnection of the battery?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Been there, done that.
    Reloaded BIOS defaults, too.

If this POS Chaintech mobo has gone wonky on me I'll be VERY pissed.
    I really didn't want to go socket 939 for another 6 months or so, and I'd hate to have to invest in another 754 board in the interim.

Meh.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    I remember on my old computers to get it to shutdown all the way i had to enable APM in the control panel>power options in XP.

That's on old computers but maybe something's gone messed up and windows thinks your computer is old.
    Last edited by tesco; 12-31-2004 at 03:33 PM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Chaintexh sux baws.

But maybe it's to do with something else, are you using theat old case you were modding a while ago? 'cos if the PSU is modified or old it might be it isn't receiving the signal preoperly or something. Ie that it doesn't recognize that rthe rest ogf the system isn't shutting down.

EDit: so testing another psu might still be a good idea.
    Last edited by Snee; 12-31-2004 at 03:31 PM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    When you've powered it all down completely (with the back panel switch) and given the system time to drain power, does the PSU power back up as soon as you put the switch back on?

If it does, then you are somehow generating a 5Vgood signal. Disconnect the power lead from the mobo and repeat the exercise, if it doesn't do it again then the signal is coming from your mobo, if it still powers up then the problem is your PSU.

Assuming that it doesn't automatically power up from cold, try removing the atx power lead from your mobo after shutdown but before switching off at the back. If it now powers down this again suggests the fault is in the mobo. Check you haven't got anything shorting out at the back.

That said, how often do you actually power down? Mine only gets switched off when I change a piece of hardware, maybe a couple of times a year, and in those cases I really would want total shutdown so it wouldn't be any trouble to me in the least, although I must admit it would probably worry the heck out of me.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Excellent choice in PSU BrAnD btw.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Lynx,
    No, she does not power up again when the switch is turned back on.
    I'll try your suggestion when I get home tonight.
    I can't imagine that there is a short from my installation, but naturally, one can never be sure so I'll check.

I have just assembled this rig for the first time so I anticipate multiple instances of powering down to add/reconfigure/modify the components.

Even were this not the case, a problem like this should be addressed don't you think?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    It could be a feature...I have an Enermax power supply that is designed to run the fan for 2 minutes after shutdown to keep things cool.
    Last edited by Darth Sushi; 12-31-2004 at 09:27 PM.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    SciManAl's Avatar Hardware guy
    clear
    Last edited by SciManAl; 03-15-2006 at 03:42 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast