Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Derekand Clive Get The Horn

Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Of Plenty...

Peter Cook picked as world's top comic

LONDON (Reuters) - Peter Cook has been picked as the world's most talented comedian in a poll of more than 300 comics, comedy writers, producers and directors on both sides of the Atlantic.

The British comedian, who first rose to fame in the satirical show "Beyond The Fringe," took the title ahead of "Monty Python" star John Cleese.

Canadian Mike Myers, famed for his role as Austin Powers, said of Cook's quirky and distinctive humour: "I didn't know dirty words could be done that artfully."

Third in the poll conducted by Channel 4 television show "The Comedians' Comedian" was American film-maker Woody Allen.

A bit mental but I liked Peter Cook. His "High Court Judge" piece is one of the funiest things I have seen.
    Last edited by Biggles; 01-02-2005 at 11:29 PM.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Never, ever heard of him/them.

Would like to, it seems.
    Last edited by hobbes; 01-02-2005 at 11:42 PM.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Peter Cook.... excellent.

I cant believe that you havent heard of him Hobbes... Dudley Moore and he used to be a double act

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced
    Peter Cook.... excellent.

I cant believe that you havent heard of him Hobbes... Dudley Moore and he used to be a double act
    Never heard of him, at all.

Americans' have heard of Monty Python and Billy Connolly. Billy Connolly only because Whoopi Goldberg bought him an HBO Special.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Who can forget one-legged Dud's Tarzan audition? As much British comedy folklore as "Fork Handles".
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    connoisseurs of bad language will have heard of them if only for the "f***ing C***" sketch, which is available on 7 inch vinyl

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Never heard of him either.

I do remember Comedy Central's 100 best comedians and he wasn't on the list. I personally like Richard Pryor.

I will have to check out this Peter guy though.

It's unfortunate that most Americans have so many comedians here in the states that we don't bother to branch out but I guess this is obviously due to what is on TV here.

Billy Connolly, Yakov Smirnov, John Cleese, Eddie Izzard and a few others I've heard of.

They weren't terribly funny though.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    connoisseurs of bad language will have heard of them if only for the "f***ing C***" sketch, which is available on 7 inch vinyl
    You must mean "This Bloke Came Up To Me" from the Derek & Clive - Live! album... probably my favourite conedy sketch during my teenage years.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Much of his material was actually banned from the airwaves. Some was just so over the top that it wasn't that funny imho, but the more controlled stuff was superb.

Busyman,

Monty Python etc., built on the work of Beyond the Fringe which Peter Cook and others wrote. If you didn't like Monty Python you might not like Peter Cook.

DEREK & CLIVE (LIVE)

Official release of the bootleg tape that spawned the memorable catchphrase: "What's The Worst Job You've Ever Had?" regarding the extraction of lobsters from Jayne Mansfield's anus.

Banned from radio, due to high expletive content, it nevertheless (or as a result) went on to become a success world-wide.

Source

Site

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    I think Peter Cook was OK, but not the World's top comic, not by a long chalk.

He may very well have been influential, but so was Alan Bennett, Johnathon Miller and Richard Curtis, as were many others. With apologies to these gentleman if (as seems likely) I spelled any of their names incorrectly.

To my mind this result is based on pseudo-intellectualism, rather than what makes one larf. Which to my simple mind defines good comedy. That being the case and basing my decision on actual laughing out loud, with pain in the stomachal region one would have to consider Billy Connelly, Woody Allan, Peter Kay, Ricky Gervais, Eddie Izzard and probably many others who I have found funnier that the late great Mr Cook. Once again my apologies for crap spellage.

I think it is probably his writing that won him the acclaim. He was a major force in that early group and coupled with running Private Eye in its infancy and a number of films (The Wrong Box, Bedazzled etc.,) he was quite prolific. His later years were quieter although I did like the Sir Arthur Streeb-Greebling character. It was a gentler more thoughtful satire.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast