Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please leave this here, Rat...

Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    I enjoy putting what I understand to be so to the test.

Although there might be a touch of vanity in it all.

Ecclesiastes ch1v2
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    No l337 isnt chav....

Or a lot of people in the lounge are going to be embaressed

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    Les,

You can do l337 talk.

Is that "chav".
    My secret is out.

Number 1 son explained l337 to me (although I had to chew one of my legs off to stay awake through the Byzantine maze that is l337 history)

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Welcome, Stumpy.

How is your friend Ren?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker
    Welcome, Stumpy.

How is your friend Ren?
    Full of Happy Happy Joy Joy

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    What's in it for us, or anyone else?
    well. if we really consider your question, it does seem like this is all just arguing in circles. an exercise in futility. but i think there's something positive in the mere act of getting on the 'net and blowing off steam, in jogging a few laps around the intellectual/conversational track, in verbal sparring in a moderated setting. there's prolly a therapeutic value to it. some people relieve their tension through physical exercise or yoga or meditation or whatever, some like to watch action movies or football or pro wrestling for a bit of vicarious aggression, and some like to come here and rant.

anyway. i doubt that's the kind of answer you're looking for, but it's an angle that i think is worth considering: that engaging in argument/debate is just normal and healthy for the average person. although sometimes we do see people on the 'net displaying unhealthy behavior in arguments, i suppose...

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    spinningfreemanny's Avatar I'm everything you want
    I love it.

Such discussions makes me ask myself what I believe and why.

no matter what subject is discussed, the exercise of coherently explaining positions here makes me more confident in myself.

Too few young people have no idea on why they believe what they believe. listen to the "man on the street" interviews on the Sean Hannity show. I don't wanna be one of those guys.
    Do you know everything? do you know 3% of everything? Could it be that what you don't believe in is in the other 97%?

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by 3RA1N1AC
    well. if we really consider your question, it does seem like this is all just arguing in circles. an exercise in futility. but i think there's something positive in the mere act of getting on the 'net and blowing off steam, in jogging a few laps around the intellectual/conversational track, in verbal sparring in a moderated setting. there's prolly a therapeutic value to it. some people relieve their tension through physical exercise or yoga or meditation or whatever, some like to watch action movies or football or pro wrestling for a bit of vicarious aggression, and some like to come here and rant.

anyway. i doubt that's the kind of answer you're looking for, but it's an angle that i think is worth considering: that engaging in argument/debate is just normal and healthy for the average person. although sometimes we do see people on the 'net displaying unhealthy behavior in arguments, i suppose...
    Happy New Year, 3RA1N1AC.

Contrary to your belief, I accept your answer as totally proper; you have described very incisively one of the reasons I am here, but just one.

It also helps one to learn how to do it.

Happy New Year to you, too, Manny.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul
    Indeed, I think I said that. However my point was presented betterly.
    But not simplerly.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12