Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XP SP2 security pop up

VIP...just ask any
    I'm guessing it's been asked before, but here goes....

Does anyone know of a way to stop the Microsoft security pop up for automatic updates?

I don't have the auto updates turned on, and I don't want them turned on anymore... (thanx to sp2) I don't trust microsoft.... don't want them d/ling a bunch of piggy backed garbage, along with their stuff (i.e. nvidia controls)

Anyway... ???

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    orcutt989's Avatar Blargh
    I am not sure if I can entirely understand your question. Maybe if you restated it. But I'm sure there is someone here that does. If you reword it, I can attempt to help you.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Open Security Centre from Control Panel and at the bottom on the left you will see a link something along the lines of Change the way Security Centre alerts me about security issues... if you follow that you'll find options to turn off alerting for all three aspects and after doing so you will then be able to turn off the service by once again going to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Also when you manualy check for windows updates, you can hide the one's you don't want. Example , I hide the ATI driver updates it finds because I use Omega Drivers .

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    VIP...just ask any
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewie UK
    Open Security Centre from Control Panel and at the bottom on the left you will see a link something along the lines of Change the way Security Centre alerts me about security issues... if you follow that you'll find options to turn off alerting for all three aspects and after doing so you will then be able to turn off the service by once again going to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services.
    Thanx Chewie... I know exactly what you've explained... but that service has been disabled for some time now. I still get that stinkin pop up, telling me I might be a risk because automatic updates is turned off.

I guess i'll just live with it

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    VIP...just ask any
    Quote Originally Posted by peat moss
    Also when you manualy check for windows updates, you can hide the one's you don't want. Example , I hide the ATI driver updates it finds because I use Omega Drivers .
    Didn't know that one... Thanx peat moss... I'll see if I can hide everything and to heck with it

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Quote Originally Posted by whiterook-2
    Thanx Chewie... I know exactly what you've explained... but that service has been disabled for some time now. I still get that stinkin pop up, telling me I might be a risk because automatic updates is turned off.

I guess i'll just live with it

Turn off notification in that pain in the ass Securtiy Centre . Its in Start, programs , control panel , security centre. Use the menu on the left .Change the way security alerts me. And use the bottom manager.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    VIP...just ask any
    Quote Originally Posted by peat moss
    Turn off notification in that pain in the ass Securtiy Centre . Its in Start, programs , control panel , security centre. Use the menu on the left .Change the way security alerts me. And use the bottom manager.
    Yuppers....That's what I'm looking for... didn't even see that over there. Can you say optometrist ;P

And thank you too SaYaiN... *site bookmarked

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    baccyman's Avatar n00b BT Rep: +11BT Rep +11BT Rep +11
    this prog shuts of a lot of the stuff that goes to microsoft . xp antispy here is a link to the site
    http://xp-antispy.org/index.php?opti...sellang&iso=en

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast