Thread: Bandwidth on WinMx

Can anyone tell me roughly the total kb/s I should be able to allocate to uploaders if I'm on a NTL 600k BB connection? At the moment I can only give 7kb/s total to uploaders,which means that it's only really worth having one upload slot open. If I have more than that they will all just crawl along, and people have to wait ages. In WinMx peer network, it's set to 7kb/s out, 10.5kb/s in, but if I change it to anything higher, it slows everything right down. Should I even have a primary connection?

Thanks for any answers.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    For that speed, I recommend the following...

1. Connect to Secondary Connection
    2. Ensure your firewall / router settings are set correctly. Use port forwarding on your router, if you use one.
    3. I'm assuming NTL's 600KB BB Tariff is offering 256KB Upload? If this is true, then the max you can upload is 32KB/Sec. I have a 2MB Connection but the same upload as yourself, and I have 6 slots open for uploading. I'd recommend setting yours to around 2 or 3. Please ensure you follow step 2 first though.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Thanks Samurai. Step 2 is all a bit too technical for me. Can you tell how I should go about that? I've only been using my built in firewall, although I have just downloaded Zonealarm, but haven't managed to set it up yet.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Are you using a router?

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Erm.......I have no idea what a router is, so I'm assuming I'm not.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Ok, in that case you urgently need a firewall running on your system ASAP. Either install Zone Alarm, or go with Sygate, which is what I use, and find much much better.

It'll ask you everytime a program tries to access the net, which is where you have to make a decision to allow it or not. Please ensure you set WinMX to allow

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Thanks, you're a star. I'm setting it up now.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    By the way, WinMX (Main Program) is at least a year old.

If you visit http://www.winmx.com/beta/ there are new versions on there which have been released in the last month, which offers superior techniques and scripting. I myself have noticed a better downloading / uploading speeds. Check it out

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    I'll do that. Thanks hun.