Thread: How do I know if Peerguardian is working?

matt526's Avatar Poster

Laugh

How do I know if Peerguardian is working?

I downloaded and did the update. I also downloaded the Block list Manager and exported that to PG
    now every time I open Azureus several notifications pop up and tell me that IPs are being blocked. by the time Azureus is fully loaded there are at least 10 Blocked IPs after about 4 hours there is over 1000 blocked IPs
    and my download speed seems to be ok.
    that seems like its working to me, I just wanted to make sure.

Is there a good place to go to read how these all this work together

I refuse to be beat by the MPAA or the IRAA

2. File Sharing   -   #2

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    erRor67's Avatar Lord Of Everything
    Well, I recommend using ProtoWall since its waaaaaaaay better than PeerGuardian. As to tell if its working, erm, if you get hits being blocked, then its working.
    Or you can test by going to a site that should be blocked. like, http://www.riaa.com
    blah blah blah... whatever...

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    lee551's Avatar no soup for you! BT Rep: +5
    thanks for the tip. i might switch to protowall as peerguardian tends to block some sites i like to surf to and not allow some http downloads to initialize.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    matt526's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by lee551
    thanks for the tip. i might switch to protowall as peerguardian tends to block some sites i like to surf to and not allow some http downloads to initialize.
    I know what you mean about blocking some sites and downloads
    Im thinking about going to ProtoWall my self

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    nsane's Avatar .
    it won't matter, the blocklist is what blocks it, not the program. you need to check your log and find what IP was blocked, then open your blocklist in notepad, look for the IP range it falls under and split it to where that IP isn't there anymore. should be fairly simple

Tip: Ctrl + F

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by matt526
    by the time Azureus is fully loaded
    I have always thoiught that blocklists that are built into the app are better than generalized ones that affect everything. Since you use AZ in that case SafePeer would be a much better way to go for your bt needs although it would only cover when using AZ obviously...

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    another option for not peerguardian not blcoking sites is to allow all connections to port 80, its under options, this will still stop anyone in the block list from connecting for file tranfers

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    erRor67's Avatar Lord Of Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by lee551
    I recommend you do so. Protowall works on Driver level and blocks on all ports. PeerGuardian does non of that
    blah blah blah... whatever...

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    matt526's Avatar Poster
    That’s what I thought, I installed Protowall

and its blocked everything and I mean everything except Azureus witch is Ok since I share only at night when I’m sleeping.
    but I would like to be able to surf the web and have Protowall running at the same time.

In just the few hours I used Protowall last night; it seems like a very good program, just hard to figure out.