Thread: 10,000 rpm SATA. Big difference?

Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face
    What do you peeps think about a 10,000rpm SATA drive vs a regular 7200rpm IDE drive. On my system (P4 3.3ghz), do you think there would be a very noticable difference, or just a negligible difference? I ask cuz my friend just bought one (SATA raptor) and also has 1gb Corsair XMS RAM, his pc FLYS! I was trying to figure out which of the two is the main reason for the increase in speed. Our PC's are almost identical. Same mobo, his CPU is 200mhz faster, but thats about it.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Raptors are quite a bit faster.
    I'm not sure how much but i'm guessing that it isn't just one of those things making your friend's computer faster it's a combination of both.
    plus maybe he has less items running on his computer?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    I also forgot to mention that i have 512 ram, and he has 1gb running in dual channel. Does running in dual channel make a biggie? I need another stick to find out.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    the thing is, when you double click a desktop icon, say musicmatch, it opens so fast that the intro jingle plays AFTER its loaded. It opens in the blink of an eye, literally.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    You won't notice a big difference. Only loading times will be reduced.

It also depends on what you have running in the background and what AntiVirus you have if any. No AntiVirus and it will fly!
    Last edited by Virtualbody1234; 01-11-2005 at 10:12 PM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234
    You won't notice a big difference. Only loading times will be reduced.

It also depends on what you have running in the background and what AntiVirus you have if any. No AntiVirus and it will fly!
    he uses NAV 9. I want mine to go that fast. Tax time is comming, i smell UPGRADE!

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Comparison benchmarks ( using HD Tune ) between my 36GB, 10K rpm Raptor and a Seagate 7200rpm, 8mb cache SATA drive, show almost no differences at all.
    Admittedly, the bigger Raptor is faster than my baby model, but I doubt you would notice that much difference.

The Raptor runs a consistent 2C hotter than the Seagate and is noticably noisier ( but still not obnoxious, IMO).
    For the huge price difference, I would say that the Raptor is not worth it.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    lynx's Avatar .
    As a general rule, average search time (time to find a sector on a particular cylinder) is affected by rotation speed, whereas average seek time is fairly constant.

However, compare big disks against small ones. If the average seek time is the same on both disks, but one disk is 4 times the size of the other, then the average seek time/MB of the large disk will be up to 4 times that of the small one if the amount of disk occupied is the same. This behaviour is lost if the data is spread all over the disk, but you can prevent that by splitting a large disk into smaller partitions.

If you leave the large disk with one partition it gives you the option of storing more data, and when you do the average seek time/MB will fall to the same as the smaller disk, but when that happens you are no longer comparing like for like.

In general, larger disks are more likely to give you a performance improvement than higher rotational speeds.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    afaik the raptor wont increase your speeds that dramatically, and like clocker said, isnt really worth the money....... unless of course you want the fastest your pc can be at any cost, or use it for a special purpose that requires a fast search time........

you would prolly gain more of a performance boost from another ram stick than a raptor (depending on how many programs your running at once)

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    So, for my OS drive, should i use a ....say....40gb 7200 SATA? or bigger?.....well, let me ask it this way:

I now have a 40gb 7200 IDE for my OS drive.
    should i upgrade this drive to SATA?

I also want a bigger storage drive. My setup is such:

2 pc's

Workstation has: (built in SATA controllers - ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe P4/HT)
    1 - 40gb IDE 7200 OS drive
    1 - 40gb IDE 7200 storage drive w/ 2gb page file partition
    1 - 120gb IDE 7200 storage drive for all me stuff

Server has: (no SATA controllers - Intel D850GB P4)
    1 - 10gb 5400 IDE OS drive
    1 - 40gb IDE 7200 storage for stuff

should i bump my workstation up to purely SATA? (prolly a stupid question)