View Poll Results: How big of a Malphoy are you?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • 17 - 20 : well beyond Malphoy. You are pure geek and there is nothing you can do about it.

1 2.86%
  • 13 - 16 : Malphoy to excess. Don't worry, a haircut, deoderant, and new friends could solve that.

1 2.86%
  • 9 - 12 : certainly are a Malphoy, but you could still be pretty cool.

5 14.29%
  • 5 - 8 : crossed the Malphoy threshold, and it's okay to embrace your inner Malphoy.

8 22.86%
  • 2 - 4 : you picked up a couple geeky mannerisms here and there but your hardly a Malphoy.

12 34.29%
  • 0 - 1 : You need to be a little more open minded and accepting.

8 22.86%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Are you a Malphoy?

Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    Nah, they're like 10 miles long. BS when you think about the logistics involved, I bet they don't even have light speed capability.

Voyager would just pick them off, even with Wesley Geptard Crusher at the helm
    I think they do have hyperdrives.

The people in Star Wars have forgotten more about building ships than the people in star fleet have ever discovered.

I mean, the story goes back 5000 years+, counting the comics, and according to those they had space travel back then.
    [EDit: Counting with Vulcan history, they've only had spaceflight for maybe 2000 years, and I don't think there's been anyone much more developed than them contributing to development in Star Fleet.
    Whereas I have no idea how long spacetravel has been around in the star wars universe for human beings except 5000+.]

I do wonder about those ships in Star Wars making sounds in space tho', I mean those ships must be seriously leaky to explain all that gas that's supposed to carry the soundwaves according to Lucas n' Co.

It's hard to compare techs anyway, 'cos we've never seen them do a dogfight. For all I know it might be that the one ion cannon on one of those old Y-wings might be enough to take out voyager.

Besides, if the pilot has the force they might be able to hit something important, or failing that Janeway. 'cos I want Janeway gone.
    Last edited by Snee; 01-13-2005 at 04:01 PM.

2. Lounge   -   #32
    TheDave's Avatar n00b
    half a point or possibly 1.5

3. Lounge   -   #33
    ahctlucabbuS's Avatar <
    I don't see how beeing a geek or a malphoy is mutually exclusive of beeing a closed minded asshole though

Let me guess, you came up with that one as the weed left in the bag progressively
    went bye bye.

4. Lounge   -   #34
    Cheese's Avatar Poster

5. Lounge   -   #35
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    (1pnt) If you thought Episodes 1 and 2 were great and expect 3 to live up to the same standards, you just might be a Malphoy

(2pnt) If you own 2 paintball guns, and do play the game, you just might be a Malphoy

(1pnt) If you wonder how your friend can get by with a Pentium 2, you just might be a Malphoy

(3pnt) If you +5 virtual bonus to charisma means anything to you, you just might be a Malphoy

(1pnt) If you can easily build a computer, you just might be a Malphoy

(1pnt) If you know that a Star Destroyer could take out the Enterprise, you just might be a Malphoy

(3pnt) If you know that the Enterprise E could take out a Star Destroyer, you just might be a Malphoy

Last edited by Busyman; 01-13-2005 at 07:12 PM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

6. Lounge   -   #36
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by SnnY
    I think they do have hyperdrives.

The people in Star Wars have forgotten more about building ships than the people in star fleet have ever discovered.

I mean, the story goes back 5000 years+, counting the comics, and according to those they had space travel back then.
    [EDit: Counting with Vulcan history, they've only had spaceflight for maybe 2000 years, and I don't think there's been anyone much more developed than them contributing to development in Star Fleet.
    Whereas I have no idea how long spacetravel has been around in the star wars universe for human beings except 5000+.]

I do wonder about those ships in Star Wars making sounds in space tho', I mean those ships must be seriously leaky to explain all that gas that's supposed to carry the soundwaves according to Lucas n' Co.

It's hard to compare techs anyway, 'cos we've never seen them do a dogfight. For all I know it might be that the one ion cannon on one of those old Y-wings might be enough to take out voyager.

Besides, if the pilot has the force they might be able to hit something important, or failing that Janeway. 'cos I want Janeway gone.

If a Star Destroyer has warp capability, which I doubt 'cause I've never seen a reference a SD having it, then there is a slight chance of it escaping from Voyager with it's arse intact. The dogfight scenario would call for manoeuverability which the Star Destroyer simply cannot have due to it's bulk. It's just a mothership after all. Without it's fleet of attack vessels it would be vulnerable to the skimpiest of attacks.

I guess you're right about the history concerning the time frame in which they've had to develop their attack strategies and space travel being in excess of that which would be available to The Federation but the Star Destroyer is all about the total package, the complete fleet of ships. Voyager is a standalone fighting vessel.

Isolate the mothership, which is what a dogfight is all about, and you've a lame duck.

As you say, the hardware is difficult to call but in Star Wars they just seem to be fire off a volley and hope for the best - all power and no guile. Whereas Star Trek 'ships have all sorts of tactical connotations to their firepower. Often using their high powered photon torpedoes as a feint to cover a devious tachion ray into the belly of an opponent's warp engine or sending a medium powered phaser to disable main power.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

7. Lounge   -   #37
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    The Enterprise would just beam a photon torpedo onto the bridge of the SD.

End of story.

8. Lounge   -   #38
    Can we be sure that the enterprise, or voyager, could penetrate the shielding on a star destroyer?

Granted, in the movies they do seem to let everything in to take a shot at them, for some unfathomable reason, but as far as I can understand larger imperial vessels do have some sort of (heavy) shielding. And if it's anything like the shielding on the ships in star trek it should negate the beaming scenario.

As an aside, tie fighters apparently don't. Apparently lack of shielding and a lack of hyperdrive was to be a preventative measure against cowardly retreats or somesuch, although it does seem to be a really good method of losing pilots fast rater than a really cunning morale booster.

Star destroyers are also what I think is a fair bit larger than the enterprise which might let them soak up quite a bit of phaser damage, and they do have a lot of laser batteries, more guns in fact than the enterprise's phaser banks.

Also, it should be important to note that a star destroyer is something of a carrier ship. Just as the star fleet vessels come with with a complement of shuttles, and photon torpedoes, a star destroyer will be packing squadrons of tie fighters and tie bombers. They should probably be considered part of it's armament, as no fully equipped star destroyer would leave port without them.

What star fleet do have going for them is the flexibility of their vessels. They can fly faster [EDit: umm, the bloke on the site says they can not ] and they are more agile, like you say. And they do have some fancy tricks with the power routage. Which is why I'd want to give them the benefit of a doubt, unlike some.

When looking around on the web I found something you might find interesting btw.
    http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/...veMinutes.html

EDit: Also, Imperial vessels travel through hyperspace, not the warp. What the difference is, except for how it looks I don't know

Which is the faster form of FTL I'm not sure about either, tho' I'm betting on hyperspace [EDit:a hell of a lot faster, according to the bloke].
    Last edited by Snee; 01-13-2005 at 07:38 PM.

9. Lounge   -   #39
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Quote Originally Posted by SnnY
    Can we be sure that the enterprise, or voyager, could penetrate the shielding on a star destroyer?

Granted, in the movies they do seem to let everything in to take a shot at them, for some unfathomable reason, but as far as I can understand larger imperial vessels do have some sort of (heavy) shielding. And if it's anything like the shielding on the ships in star trek it should negate the beaming scenario.

As an aside, tie fighters apparently don't. Apparently lack of shielding and a lack of hyperdrive was to be a preventative measure against cowardly retreats or somesuch, although it does seem to be a really good method of losing pilots fast rater than a really cunning morale booster.

Star destroyers are also what I think is a fair bit larger than the enterprise which might let them soak up quite a bit of phaser damage, and they do have a lot of laser batteries, more guns in fact than the enterprise's phaser banks.

Also, it should be important to note that a star destroyer is something of a carrier ship. Just as the star fleet vessels come with with a complement of shuttles, and photon torpedoes, a star destroyer will be packing squadrons of tie fighters and tie bombers. They should probably be considered part of it's armament, as no fully equipped star destroyer would leave port without them.

What star fleet do have going for them is the flexibility of their vessels. They can fly faster [EDit: umm, the bloke on the site says they can not ] and they are more agile, like you say. And they do have some fancy tricks with the power routage. Which is why I'd want to give them the benefit of a doubt, unlike some.

When looking around on the web I found something you might find interesting btw.
    http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/...veMinutes.html

EDit: Also, Imperial vessels travel through hyperspace, not the warp. What the difference is, except for how it looks I don't know

Which is the faster form of FTL I'm not sure about either, tho' I'm betting on hyperspace [EDit:a hell of a lot faster, according to the bloke].
    What you've got to remember is that The Imperiums Hyperdrive technology is extremely powerful, yet also extremely limited.

For example, they clearly fitted out the Death Star with a hyperdrive, that's how it managed to get from the Alderaan system to the Yavin system in double-quick time; However they could only navigate to reappear from hyperspace on the wrong side of the planet, and had to resort to orbiting the planet at a snails-pace, giving the Rebels a chance to destroy it.

Clearly, if they had had the capability of a hyperdrive "hop" to the other side of the planet, they would have used it.

Also, the fearsome weapon that can destroy terrestrial-type planets, is clearly ineffective against gas giants, as otherwise they would have blasted it straight into the middle of Yavin, probably taking out the moon in the process, destroying the rebels without even having to get their hands dirty.

Again, this did not happen, so presumably, the big gun isn't that good either.

If the Death Star's weaponry is that limited, then I doubt a Star Destroyer could take on any of the Federation's ships and come out in one piece. Also, they have a habit of crashing into each other, which doesn't help durting tight formation flying manouevres.

Anyway, this is all pretty academic. The Andromeda Ascendent would kick all of their arses...

10. Lounge   -   #40
    Quote Originally Posted by barbarossa
    If the Death Star's weaponry is that limited, then I doubt a Star Destroyer could take on any of the Federation's ships and come out in one piece. Also, they have a habit of crashing into each other, which doesn't help durting tight formation flying manouevres.
    The death star is the size of a small moon, and built to attack planets, any spacebound weapons were purely defensive. The star destroyers on the other hand are made for ship to ship combat.

And if they do have the sizes and the firepower mentioned in that link, brute force alone should be a massive factor in their favour. Hell according to that site boba fett's ship is superior to the enterprise D when it comes to firepower and acceleration.

Anyway, this is all pretty academic. The Andromeda Ascendent would kick all of their arses...
    That is true tho', oh so true.
    Last edited by Barbarossa; 04-03-2007 at 11:56 AM.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast