Thread: Fruity Loops Help

Poster
    I'm using FL studio 4 and have encountered a problem, gonna try explain to the best of my ability.

Ok, let's say I'm in the piano roll, there're are alot of small blocks, all of them making up a big square (1, 2, 3,4 etc on the timeline) Now here's the problem, if I only make a short riff that doesn't completely fill a big block, or I make a long riff that goes 2 small blocks over a big block so it takes up one big block but only a quarter of the second block, I get a gap in the sound, so if that's pattern 1 and I put 2 pattern 1 blocks next to each other in the playlist there'll be a gap in the sound in between playing each pattern... Is there a way to tell the piano roll when to stop playing and go back to the beginning to loop or is the only way to get rid of that gap in the sound to move the second pattern bar over the first one so as all the sound the first one ends (but there's still some bar left) and starts that silent gap, the second pattern will play.

That is pretty complex, I just hope someone can help me out!
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    Basically I want to be able to tell the piano roll to stop after a certain note has been played.
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    You may need to insert a pause or break.

By the way v4 is old.

Fruity Loops V5 Producer Edition

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    orcutt989's Avatar Blargh
    If your riff stops prematurely before a bar, then in the Playlist view, you can just overlap the blocks, and this will give you the effect you want.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Is there not an easier way than overlapping blocks? That just seems more time consuming.

Also, What are good methods for syncing up different piano rolls? Like being able to see the notes on a Kick Drum's piano roll so that when I make a riff in the Snare Drum's piano roll I'll be able to know when to put in the Snare Drums's notes in sync with a certain Kick Drum note, or do you just use memory for this?
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    orcutt989's Avatar Blargh
    Quote Originally Posted by Vamp
    Is there not an easier way than overlapping blocks? That just seems more time consuming.

Also, What are good methods for syncing up different piano rolls? Like being able to see the notes on a Kick Drum's piano roll so that when I make a riff in the Snare Drum's piano roll I'll be able to know when to put in the Snare Drums's notes in sync with a certain Kick Drum note, or do you just use memory for this?

You could just switch back between patches. When the Piano Roll is open, just click on the drum patch button to open it's piano roll up, and you can see both.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    Take a look at this shot of my Piano Roll

http://photobucket.com/albums/...cti...urrent=sss.jpg

... As you can see, the bar is incomplete, but that's the riff I want... I don't want it any longer. However, when I put that in the playlist, it's only going to stop when it reaches the end of the bar, so there'll be a second of silence as there's nothing to play. So if I put two of those blocks in the playlist, there'll be a bit of a silence while it plays the end of bar before playing the next block. Is the only way to get rid of that silence by overlapping the second block over the point in the first block where that silence starts?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another question: I've started using the record mode to play out a riff with my keyboard instead of drawing each note in the piano roll... This is really great and saves alot of time, the only problem is it's hard to sync each channel...

Lets say I have a whole piano roll of organ notes on pattern 1 and on pattern 2 I want to put in a bass note to accompany each organ note, so I goto Record and as the Organ pattern plays I use my keyboard to play and record the bass channel.

There's just one problem, I can't see when each Organ note is played, so I can't play the bass perfectly in time with each organ note. The only way I can see the notes though is by going to the Organ's Pattern and putting the bass channel in there and watching the Organ's piano roll as I play and record the bass, but I would like to have the bass in another pattern but if I put it in another pattern than I can't see the organ's piano roll...

Is there away to see one channels piano roll as a timing reference while I record another channel in another pattern?

Orcutt: You can't have two piano rolls open at the same time.
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    There are a few things you can do.

1) Fill the loop up with some more notes. Or make some notes longer.
    2) Increase/decrease the tempo, and change the notes so that the loop is filled.
    3) Start the second loop right after the first loop has ended, in the same pattern.

But I never have this problem, I just fill it up with some more notes, or make the notes longer, that's not hard.
    I hope this will work. If it didnt, send me a pm.