Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Hardware on same PC

Poster
    I am planning to get a new DVD Writer (NEC ND 3520A) and also a new memory stick/module/whatever.

Do I need to check if I have any special cables/wires/motherboard ports etc before I buy the hardware?

I have a Dell Dimension 8300 and already have 1 DVD-ROM and 1 DVD-RW drive, so I know I have space for the DVD-RW drive.

Also, can I remove my current DVD-RW drive and put it in another computer?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    If you are removing your current dvd-rw (yes it's possible) then that makes it even easier to install your new one. And you will be sure that you have enough plugs to plug in the drive.

Basically remember how everything is hooked up to your current drive, then remove it.
    Take a look at the jumper (tiny movable plastic thingy on the back of the drive) and remember it's position (there's 3...master, slave and cable select)
    Set the new drive's jumper to that same position.
    Put the drive in and hook it up exactly how the old drive was hooked up.
    done.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    Does all the hardware come with instructions on how to install (where the jumper is etc.) or should i look for guides on the internet? It is OEM DVD-writer.

Does anyone know anything about memory modules?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    a retail one has instructions, I don't think the OEM does...

all drives look almost identical at the back (apart from colors and sometimes labels, etc.). The jumper isn't hard to miss.

edit: oh ya and all drives have some sort of label or engraving to show how the jumpers go.
    Last edited by tesco; 01-17-2005 at 11:34 PM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    like rossco says, each drive has a tiny illustration of the jumper settings engraved on it. you should be alright just setting all of your drives to "CS" (cable select), meaning that the drive's position on the cable (end connector or middle connector) determines its status as Master drive or Slave drive. in most Windows computers, the arrangement of Master/Slave drives is pretty irrelevant. some people do prefer to manually designate the Master and Slave with the jumpers, though.

as far as moving your old dvd drive to a different computer... a Windows-compatible drive is a Windows-compatible drive is a Windows-compatible drive, basically. nearly all consumer-quality drives are designed to work with Windows' generic built-in drivers, right out of the box. getting a drive from a Windows computer to work in a Mac or Linux computer may be a whole other story, though... as Macs tend to be fussy with non-Apple-approved parts, and Linux driver support can be pretty erratic.
    Last edited by 3RA1N1AC; 01-18-2005 at 02:19 AM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    memory is plug-n-play. just power off your PC and insert it. it will be recognized upon boot-up.

be sure to get the right type.

don't know? use the Belarc Advisor to inventory your hardware...

it's freely available here...

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

if you don't know much about PC hardware, buy the retail version of whatever DVD drive you choose. the instructions should be pretty helpful.

OEM means it doesn't comes with any manual, cables, etc. it's not packaged for retail display and usually comes in a plain white box.

good luck.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    One thing to remember about installing memory - actually disconnect the power cord before installing, switching off at the front may not be sufficient. Otherwise with some mobos there is still voltage to the memory and you can damage it.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by harrycary
    OEM means it doesn't comes with any manual, cables, etc. it's not packaged for retail display and usually comes in a plain white box.

good luck.
    No cables? I trust that the cables to connect to the motherboard (or whatever you connect the drive to) do come with even the OEM version?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    No the cable usually come with the motherboard not the drive.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by browser
    No cables? I trust that the cables to connect to the motherboard (or whatever you connect the drive to) do come with even the OEM version?
    you will already have the cables anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast