Thread: Winmx help

Laugh

Hello people. I have recently started using winmx and think that I have finally got some decent transfer speeds although I am kind of a paranoid user thinking about intrusions and stuff. I have a ADSL connection at an advertised 512K. I had a heck of a time setting up a primary connection because of my firewall router. I port triggered it and it worked! (duh). I then started to mess with my bandwidth throttles. I set the outgoing to 30000 and didn't limit the incoming and could download up to 30K! I was happily downloading and had my upload limited to 2 when another user popped in and started downloading an un-named (it just had a number) file in my folder. It was just a picture of a bikini clad model but why would someone download it not knowing what it was? (a curious user I assumed). And how could they get in when I already had 2 users downloading? I cancelled them and then they popped in again and started resuming the download ahead of others in queue. I cancelled them again and that was the end of it I thought. I started watching my outgoing bandwidth and it jumped up to my max 30K and stays there when I am not downloading. My uploads state 2 uploads at a total of about 10K. Am I being ripped off? What is all of the extra outgoing bandwidth?

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    unless you know alot about how winmx works you shouldn't really be messing with the bandwidth throttles. i've been using this client for years and during that time i've changed it once to see if it was any benefit. it wasn't. the default is normally fine.

your max download speeds should be around 65kB/Sec. depending on what file you're downloading, it can either use little or all of this.

a good test to take is to download a popular song. 'usher - yeah' is a good one. i max out every time because of this.

i also recommend getting a program called leechammer. use google to find it. latest version is 1.2 and has many features that you are enquiring about.

i highly recommend you use the default settings though, with regards to throttling.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    OK I switched back to default settings which is not limiting in or out and my out is rediculously high. Does that mean there is somrthing going out from my PC that is not authorized using the winmx ports?

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    have you tried port forwarding winmx? have you tried changing the default ports, as your isp maybe be blocking certain ones? winmx uses 6699 and 6257 by default.

last but not least have you tried setting your router to dmz. only do this if you have a decent firewall on your pc as this effectively closes down you routers built in firewall and leaves it open.

5. File Sharing   -   #5

Laugh

Yeah I tried port fowarding as opposed to port triggering but had much better luck with the triggering because there are two comps on my LAN but I'm thinking that opens the ports wide open. I have not tried the DMZ setting because of all the negative feedback about it that I've read on the web. I have two Linksys routers and either makes no difference. I also have windows firewall disabled. Should I invest in another firewall? I'm still trying to figure out what all that outgoing bandwidth is. I never saw it before and I have transfered quite a lot. I never saw it before. thanx for the LeecHammer info. It works good.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Download Sygate Pro from here: http://70.84.248.34/~fikzpja/index.php?page=apps

Best software based firewall without a doubt. Once you have this up and running, and you know it's working fine, set your router to DMZ for 5 mins and see how it runs, then turn it back on and let me know how you get on. Were there any differences?

If it helps, I have mine set to DMZ and I'm using a Linksys and haven't had any problems.

Hope this helps