28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 21.43%
  • No

22 78.57%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you eat veal?

Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    (Some readers may find this subject matter disturbing)

On an ethical basis, I refuse to eat veal. In fact last year on holiday I had the vegetarian option instead, as veal was the only other choice on the menu.

I was surprised to learn during a discussion at the weekend that many people I know didn't seem to know how veal was produced, and how cruel it is.

Just thought I'd open it up to the forum to discuss...

As a bit of backgroud, veal crates have been illegal in the UK since 1990, and will be outlawed in the EU from 2007. I don't know what the position is in the US.

Here are a couple of random sites I had discovered on this subject.. (some readers may find this subject matter disturbing)

The argument against:
    http://www.ciwf.ie/farminfo/farmfacts_veal.html

The argument for:
    http://www.ofac.org/factsheets/fact9.html

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Guillaume's Avatar Kentish old lady BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Yes, but only milk-fed and coming from farms I know. So, no veal crates, only large fields.

Same goes about every meat/poultry/dairy I eat.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    manker's Avatar effendi
    The thought of eating veal makes me feel a bit sick but for those that eat meat, is there not a widely available 'organic' or 'free range' alternative, as Gurahl mentioned, which doesn't involve crateage? I feel there must be but I know little on the matter.

I'm not a vegetarian on moral grounds, as such, I simply don't enjoy the taste or texture of meat, that may be because of a psychosomatic response due to watching Charlotte's Web or something as a nipper but I've not really taken the time to think in depth about it. I stopped eating meat when I was about twelve or thirteen.

However, I continued eating fish because my at the time my parents thought I'd die if I didn't. I still eat fish now, which probably makes me quite the hypocrite ... but meh.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    is there not a widely available 'organic' or 'free range' alternative, as Gurahl mentioned, which doesn't involve crateage?
    There is but these products are generally prohibitively expensive. So people tend to forget the way the calves, if they are informed at all.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    I don't eat veal but that probably had more to do with availability than morals.

I am a carnivore through and through but wherever possible i only eat meat that i can be assured was raised and slaughtered humanely. I say "wherever possible" as one can't always be sure and has to take the word of the supplier.

Vegetable though can go screw themselves

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Vid
    Vegetable though can go screw themselves
    Is that supposed to be vegetarians or vegetables. Either way you're upsetting a minority group
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Is that supposed to be vegetarians or vegetables. Either way you're upsetting a minority group
    just missing an "s" ..if vegetables were supposed to be eaten they would be made out of meat

Either way i can outrun any vegetable, and just how hard could someone hit that lives on ricecakes?

Edit: missed the "s" again...time to get new batteries for this keyboard....
    Last edited by vidcc; 01-21-2005 at 10:39 PM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

8. Lounge   -   #8
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    just missing an "s" ..if vegetables were supposed to be eaten they would be made out of meat

Either way i can outrun any vegetable, and just how hard could someone hit that lives on ricecakes?
    Ok I'll let you off. If you'd been having a pop at the venerable vegetarians among us, I'd have ... posted all in caps, or something

9. Lounge   -   #9
    mmmm... The only way I know of eating healthy and ethically is to eat vegetarians!

Beware vegans! I'm coming to get you!

This post was brought to you by © 2005 Alcohol

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Ok I'll let you off. If you'd been having a pop at the venerable vegetarians among us, I'd have ... posted all in caps, or something
    so all you are saying is.............Give chich a chance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast