Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The horrible effects of global warming....

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles
    J2

Infamy! Infamy!

I did not mean what you thought I meant, I think.

I was merely amused by the small irony of consevatives not conserving due to alternative priorites (i.e. profit)

Of course this cannot be translated across the board as conservatives are a broad church and the Highland Laird who lives in his castle with his land his life is going to have a different political outlook from someone dealing in oil shares on wall street.

I really should not post and try and make dinner at the same time.

But infamy looks so good on you.

Back to basics, then:

You should try to cook dinner, not try "and", okay?

Success awaits!

(Sorry-don't get to do that, ever. )

Methinks also that some who are assholes are being gifted improperly with the sobriquet of "conservative"; make no mistake, they do exist.

vid:

You are off the mark, though, as it is your habit, I am loathe to relieve you of it.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #32
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr JP Fugley
    your having a late dinner mate, it's quarter to nine for fecks sake
    It is now, but is was 7.18 when I made the somewhat opaque postage.

Dinner was successfully accomplished and teh kinder and ex were most complementary. I have the chicken gravy down to a fine art these days.
    Last edited by Biggles; 01-23-2005 at 09:03 PM.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

3. The Drawing Room   -   #33
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Dinner was successfully accomplished and teh kinder and ex were most complementary. I have the chicken gravy down to a fine art these days.
    That's excellent, then.

Gravy of any sort is a gambler's nightmare.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr JP Fugley
    i am quite sure your chicken gravy is to die for. certainly for t'chicken.
    As the old joke goes "the chicken was committed to it whereas I ..."

5. The Drawing Room   -   #35
    I wrote a whole load of bollocks, but thought that a few pictures would speak louder than all those words.

Just for reference on the CO2 one above we are currently at 380ppm ie the scale would have to be increased by 60% to plot our curent concentration.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #36
    Lovely C02 temperature correlation.

Not sure what Manny would say about a 400,000 year old ice core though.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #37
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god

God liked to give things an "antique" effect

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #38
    Lovely C02 temperature correlation.

lmao

and its true when i was looking into all those creationism/evangelism websites for the evolution topic, they all dismissed global warming (and indeed pretty much all pollution) as nonsense, which i suppose makes sense if the earth is only 6000 years old and god is always on hand to sort out any big mistakes

bit disturbing though.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #39
    Quote Originally Posted by ilw
    lmao

and its true when i was looking into all those creationism/evangelism websites for the evolution topic, they all dismissed global warming (and indeed pretty much all pollution) as nonsense, which i suppose makes sense if the earth is only 6000 years old and god is always on hand to sort out any big mistakes

bit disturbing though.
    Unfortunately, if you accept a young earth then such fluctuations cannot possibly be, therefore any science data associated with such predictions has to, by default, be flawed. Fortunately, there are not enough young earthers to make a difference to the climate.

I do not believe for one moment that the Whitehouse gives such stuff credence. Any stalling on moves to deal with emissions is purely economic with one eye towards changing policy if the fan looks messy.
    Last edited by Biggles; 01-23-2005 at 10:44 PM.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #40
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    BTW-

If the next Ice Age begins next year, how are you going to blame it on Conservatives or American big business, having invested all of your political capitol and credibility in the global warming scenario?

Would it not be preferrable to keep your options open; i.e., honestly expressing your true belief that, no matter what ills befall the big blue marble, it is the fault of Conservative big-business America, or any variation thereof?
    j2k4, as incredible as it may seem, global warming could well bring on another ice age. You can GOOGLE lots of articles about this. The Ice Age temperature chart posted by ilw shows how ice ages follow periods of high temperature, suggesting they are brought about by said temperatures.

Terrence Joyce, senior scientist at the prestigious Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution in Massachusetts, recently developed a theory that links this gaseous heating of the planet to the onset of a possible ice age.

His article in the New York Times, titled "The Heat Before the Cold," warns: "paradoxically, global warming could actually bring colder temperatures to some highly populated areas like Eastern North America and Western Europe."

Joyce said there has been a gradual buildup of fresh water in the North Atlantic, caused by the melting Arctic ice, which is lowering the salt content of the ocean. This, in turn, threatens to slow or turn the ocean current of warm water that flows from the tropics northward along the East Coast of the United States before turning toward Europe.

Hobbes: That particular article was indeed based on local conditions, however, it has global consequences. If stress, in the form of drought, or anything else, can cause forests to emit CO2, changing weather patterns, such as El Ninos, could have catastrophic effects in unexpected ways.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast