Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The horrible effects of global warming....

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    ....are being visited upon our land this day.

Any normal understanding of the theory of 'cause-and-effect' is taking it's lumps.

The weather is absolutely gorgeous.

Check out the photo essay.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,145107,00.html

I'm going out to tan, now.

Last edited by j2k4; 01-23-2005 at 04:37 AM.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    i imagine that there's quite a lot which defies normal understanding of cause-and-effect. a hippocratic physician's normal understanding was that too much water caused a person to be phlegmatic, and a hopi shaman's normal understanding was that a rain dance caused rainfall. it's prolly a bit premature to think that we've got a firm handle on this cause-and-effect thing. i mean, what's thought of as the height of enlightenment (or even plain old common sense) in one era may well be regarded as mere superstition, later on.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    SuperJude™'s Avatar IRC Interloper
    1 Gallon of gas = 19.6 pounds of carbon. Where does that carbon go? We can't just friggin wish it away, and shipping lanes be damned, the Polar Ice Melt is just not good.

-SJ™
    "We Love You SuperJude!"- the fans

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    @SJ

Well obviously we can't wish it away, but alas some people are just plain ignorant. They'll say things like "oh don't worry, won't happen for another 100 years". When the fact of the matter is that it's already happening.

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    I don't care if global warming is fact or fiction...there is no excuse for the amount we polute.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by cpt_azad
    @SJ

Well obviously we can't wish it away, but alas some people are just plain ignorant. They'll say things like "oh don't worry, won't happen for another 100 years". When the fact of the matter is that it's already happening.
    There are those, very high in government, that believe the world won't be around but so long so they do for themselves. Also read up on Dominion Heresy.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    mogadishu's Avatar {}"_++()_><.,{}}[":+
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    ....are being visited upon our land this day.

Any normal understanding of the theory of 'cause-and-effect' is taking it's lumps.

The weather is absolutely gorgeous.

Check out the photo essay.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,145107,00.html

I'm going out to tan, now.

Ok guys, i guess we should forget all about global warming cus j2k4 found some cold weather...
    Global warming will cause a general heating of the planet, but also wilder weather, more extremes, which in some cases means extreme cold. I don't know how global warming plays into this specific storm, but you would have to be pretty stupid to seriously think global warming is a sham because it snowed a lot in Utah. I know you are conservative, but to deny global warming is just silly. REAL conservatives would be worried about the environment just as much as they would about lower taxes. You sir, watch too much Fox News and have been brainwashed. I am willing to take your blind conservatism and big words to a certain point, but this is just madness.
    signature removed, check the boardrules.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Global warming has been happening for millenia. The cycle of warming and cooling has been happening for millions of years.

The Nile valley is now just a narrow strip of fertility intersecting the Sahara desert - whereas the surrounding area was once lush grasslands and jungle, it is now arid desert. I'm talking as little as 9000 years ago. In The UK we were buried under ice sheets right down to the Thames. It's now temperate here.

Ice Age, thaw, Ice Age, thaw, Ice Age, thaw. Think of it as a perpetual sine wave.

Sure, pollution is a bad thing - the general shittyness of the countryside and coastlines is awful, we ought to be ashamed of ourselves but stop blaming temperature fluctuations on Cadillacs, k.
    Last edited by manker; 01-23-2005 at 01:16 PM.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Poster
    J2, don't you usually get these big snows?

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    Global warming has been happening for millenia. The cycle of warming and cooling has been happening for millions of years.

The Nile valley is now just a narrow strip of fertility intersecting the Sahara desert - whereas the surrounding area was once lush grasslands and jungle, it is now arid desert. I'm talking as little as 9000 years ago. In The UK we were buried under ice sheets right down to the Thames. It's now temperate here.

Ice Age, thaw, Ice Age, thaw, Ice Age, thaw. Think of it as a perpetual sine wave.

Sure, pollution is a bad thing - the general shittyness of the countryside and coastlines is awful, we ought to be ashamed of ourselves but stop blaming temperature fluctuations on Cadillacs, k.
    My point, and well-stated.

In the '70s it was global cooling, and there was "NO WAY OUT!!!"

Now it's global warming, and, uh....."THERE'S NO WAY OUT!!!"

Not to bemoan the problem of pollution (in all it's manifestations); I am as concerned as any of you, whether you think so or not, but even the most knee-jerk environmentalist wouldn't proffer the notion that man at his most evil (think Saddam and his torch-party during Gulf War I) could make Mother Nature move any more quickly than she is inclined to.

As tragically proven by the recent events in Indonesia, She isn't obligated to sound us mortals out with regard to Her plan, is she?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast