Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Naive thoughts about US treatment of Prisoners

Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    Torture doesn't just happen from our side. Both parties do it. Remember that.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Samurai
    Torture doesn't just happen from our side. Both parties do it. Remember that.
    Well that doesn't mean we shouldn't punish those that did it on our side.

We can only set examples that we wish for others to follow. Whether the Iraqi soldiers get their just deserts for torturing our soldiers is neither here nor there when we're dealing with our own crimes.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    Well that doesn't mean we shouldn't punish those that did it on our side.

We can only set examples that we wish for others to follow. Whether the Iraqi soldiers get their just deserts for torturing our soldiers is neither here nor there when we're dealing with our own crimes.
    Oh I didn't say they should get away with it... far from it.

It's just that these pictures are quick to surface after it's happened, whereas I'm more concerned with those times when no pictures were taken if you know what I mean.

As I said before, it's not only America, UK etc that have done these things. Every country in the world has used torture at some point in history. And that includes Iraq

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Samurai
    Oh I didn't say they should get away with it... far from it.

It's just that these pictures are quick to surface after it's happened, whereas I'm more concerned with those times when no pictures were taken if you know what I mean.

As I said before, it's not only America, UK etc that have done these things. Every country in the world has used torture at some point in history. And that includes Iraq
    Hmm. It's now that I'm concerned about though. Again it is wholly irrelevant what's gone on in the past.

I do appreciate that you're trying to present the big picture, particularly to those who attempt to paint our soldiers blacker than they really are. That's fair enough. I mean it's not as if you're justifying or attempting to make the crimes appear any less heinous, right?

@ Ruthie, I can't really see why that appears as if those soldiers have executed the man on the ground. They could be different Iraqis in the pics for one thing and the time lapse between the photos is not given, anything could have happened.

The soldiers are people too, I'd prefer to give the ones in the pictures the benefit of the doubt - I'm not pretending unwarrated executions didn't happen, but that pic proves nothing.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    ruthie's Avatar Poster
    this is true..posted it for interest sake. As you saw, he asked if anyone had info about it.
    Don't read what isn't there.

anywhichway

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    Remember: they could have avoided all this if they just would have turned over their weapons of mass-destruction.

Serves them right.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Hartha
    Remember: they could have avoided all this if they just would have turned over their weapons of mass-destruction.

Serves them right.
    What are you talking about.

Even if your point had some merit, which it doesn't, then it was Saddam who refused to comply with UN mandates, not his soldiers. To say it serves them right to get tortured and smeared with their own excrement because of what their leader did is absolutely abhorrent.

As an aside, I don't know if you heard but there weren't any WMD in Iraq. We looked, couldn't find any.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    Hmm. It's now that I'm concerned about though. Again it is wholly irrelevant what's gone on in the past.

I do appreciate that you're trying to present the big picture, particularly to those who attempt to paint our soldiers blacker than they really are. That's fair enough. I mean it's not as if you're justifying or attempting to make the crimes appear any less heinous, right?
    That's right. I've said it was absolutely disgusting what happened (at the time) and I still believ that

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Hartha

Serves them right.

words fail me

on the subject.

When we treat anyone like this we cease to be soldiers, we cease to be liberators, we cease to be civilised humans.
    this goes for WHOEVER does it, be they Iraqi, American, British or any other nation.... This point has no racial side.
    To say that someone else does it is simply removing any defense for ones actions.

All concerned should be punished.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast