Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Naive thoughts about US treatment of Prisoners

Quote Originally Posted by manker
    What are you talking about.

Even if your point had some merit, which it doesn't, then it was Saddam who refused to comply with UN mandates, not his soldiers. To say it serves them right to get tortured and smeared with their own excrement because of what their leader did is absolutely abhorrent.

As an aside, I don't know if you heard but there weren't any WMD in Iraq. We looked, couldn't find any.
    You have a keen eye for the obvious - good for you.

i·ro·ny

The use of words to express something different from and often opposite to their literal meaning.
    An expression or utterance marked by a deliberate contrast between apparent and intended meaning.
    A literary style employing such contrasts for humorous or rhetorical effect, sometimes used to illustrate an absurdity.
    See Synonyms at wit1.
    Incongruity between what might be expected and what actually occurs: “Hyde noted the irony of Ireland's copying the nation she most hated” (Richard Kain).
    An occurrence, result, or circumstance notable for such incongruity. See Usage Note at ironic.
    Dramatic irony.
    Socratic irony.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    Arm's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Hartha
    Remember: they could have avoided all this if they just would have turned over their weapons of mass-destruction.

Serves them right.
    Youre either a complete, fucking idiot or have an offensive sense of humor so grand it hasent been seen since Bansai Kittens.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Quote Originally Posted by Arm
    Youre either a complete, fucking idiot or have an offensive sense of humor so grand it hasent been seen since Bansai Kittens.
    Arm

This called irony - it was actually quite clever and funny and was a lot more sophisticated than the Banzai Kittens.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    manker's Avatar effendi
    You have a keen eye for the obvious - good for you.
    Your post wasn't ironic in the slightest, that only works if we knew anything about your character; as it was I assumed you were 13 and really believed it. Given the context of this thread I also think your comment was in particular bad taste.

I see a lot of opinions I disagree with, we all do. If we put them down to the poster being ironic then this message board would be rather quiet.

So post what you really think.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    Your post wasn't ironic in the slightest, that only works if we knew anything about your character; as it was I assumed you were 13 and really believed it. Given the context of this thread I also think your comment was in particular bad taste.

I see a lot of opinions I disagree with, we all do. If we put them down to the poster being ironic then this message board would be rather quiet.

So post what you really think.
    I find myself in the rare position of disagreeing on the use of language.

That there were no WMDs is irrefutable, that the demand was to give them up is also irrefutable. The illogical logic that the Iraqis could have been spared war and torture if they had only given them up is what I think Sid Hartha is saying.

On the other hand I have had a crap day and my head hurts.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    Your post wasn't ironic in the slightest...
    incorrect.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles
    I find myself in the rare position of disagreeing on the use of language.

That there were no WMDs is irrefutable, that the demand was to give them up is also irrefutable. The illogical logic that the Iraqis could have been spared war and torture if they had only given them up is what I think Sid Hartha is saying.

On the other hand I have had a crap day and my head hurts.
    After having it being pointed out that Sid isn't 13 and isn't some racist idiot, then yes. I can see that irony would be present.

The fact that we're all faceless and no-one knows him from a bar of soap negates that. Did you know the post was ironic before the resultant clarification.

Maybe you're more intuitive but I just thought he was a trolling dickhead.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    After having it being pointed out that Sid isn't 13 and isn't some racist idiot, then yes. I can see that irony would be present.

The fact that we're all faceless and no-one knows him from a bar of soap negates that. Did you know the post was ironic before the resultant clarification.

Maybe you're more intuitive but I just thought he was a trolling dickhead.
    I think perhaps it is context. I have seen other things posted by Sid Hartha that I considered sensitive and intelligent therefore I suspect my brain read intent above the words.

You are correct, we are faceless and it is only through time that our natures reveal. If you posted something with poor grammar I would look for the joke - a newcomer would not understand.
    Last edited by Biggles; 01-24-2005 at 10:16 PM.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    manker's Avatar effendi
    incorrect.
    After thinking it through, I have to concede that. However, in it's original context you can see my above post.

Irony is all very well but in this instance and in an environment where people exist that are capable of posting what you did and meaning every word, I feel it's an inappropriate tool - particularly when the thread invokes strong emotions. There have been worse things posted, in the lounge anyway, and the poster wasn't being ironic.

I daresay if you posted more and I was aware of your stance/character your ironic comment would have been accepted as intended.

====

Biggles; you're quite right of course, I think maybe I was a bit tetchy because of the subject matter.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    My sig - on the other hand - isn't the least bit ironic, and a very telling indicator of where I'm coming from.

As is the case with most of the other members here.

A little back story: My original post was actually cribbed from an actual comment I overheard one morning on my way to work. Your initial reaction was very close to the way I felt when I heard it. After a bit of argument - this was a complete stranger, mind you - I was dismissed as a naive liberal. "Of course they have WMDs, everybody knows that. You liberals just don't want to face up to the facts." How ironic it is that after all we went through (risking our own soldiers, baiting even more terrorism, torturing Iraqi prisoners to get "information" etc.), it turns out there wasn't any "information" to get in the first place.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast