Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Repairing Windows

lee551's Avatar no soup for you! BT Rep: +5
    i need to do a repair of windows due to the "ntldr is missing" problem. question is: can i do a repair of windows home with a windows xp pro cd? i just need to do a repair so i figured it might work enuf to just fix that problem.

if not, i'm gunna have to download windows xp home and burn a new xp cd.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    ya a repair install should fix that problem.

and ya I think you could use the pro XP cd will do the "repair" function, as long as it's not one of those recovery disks\partitions that come with computers from like Dell, HP, etc. Worth a try (it will eb like isntalling XP PRO on top of HOME.
    You put in the CD, continue into the installation and after "detecting window sinstallations" it will say one has been detected, would you like to repair and you choose to repair it.
    It then seems to be completely reinstalling windows but it's leaving all of your files and programs intact.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    ok. thanks for the fast reply ross. i thought that maybe the computer wouldn't accept a different windows version for repairs. i wish i did have the company-given xp cd, but its long gone.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Worst thing that happens is it just denies you being able to repair it.

Another way which i'm even more sure will work is to continue past the repair part (choose not to repair) and when it asks where to install windows choose your current drive, it will then ask how to format the drive (ntfs , ntfs quick, fat32, fat32 quick, or leave current file system intact)...choose to "Leave the current filesystem intact" and that just won't format the drive, it then installs windows to that drive.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco_2004
    Worst thing that happens is it just denies you being able to repair it.

Another way which i'm even more sure will work is to continue past the repair part (choose not to repair) and when it asks where to install windows choose your current drive, it will then ask how to format the drive (ntfs , ntfs quick, fat32, fat32 quick, or leave current file system intact)...choose to "Leave the current filesystem intact" and that just won't format the drive, it then installs windows to that drive.

i'll try the repair way first. the new install seems a bit too risque for me. (it's not my computer )

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Quote Originally Posted by lee551
    i'll try the repair way first. the new install seems a bit too risque for me. (it's not my computer )
    Not your computer ? Take a deep breath , Bonsai! Sorry a bad attempt at humor ,I know. But how many times have we heard from friends , oh there's nothing on my computer I really need ? Then the shit hits the fan .
    Last edited by peat moss; 01-25-2005 at 04:39 AM.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    backlash's Avatar usenet lover
    there's nothing wrong with ur puter!!!! You have a floppy in the drive!!

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face
    Quote Originally Posted by backlash
    there's nothing wrong with ur puter!!!! You have a floppy in the drive!!
    lol.......I would agree with that, cuz i did this same thing 2 nights ago when i was drunk, and started getting pissed thinking something was wrong again, but then my mind returned. I forgot that i was making a DOS disk earlier, but never finished doing it........DOH! But i guess he will find out soon enough if the puter is set to boot from floppy first, and he'll wonder why the CDrom wont work.
    Last edited by Mïcrösöül°V³; 01-25-2005 at 08:05 PM.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    i dont have a floppy in the drive, first thing i checked. i'm not completely brain-dead.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast