Thread: Need to set up a wireless network at home

Cool

okay so i'm movin into a new place, I'll have 2 computers in two different rooms. I will also have two different IP addresses. I'll be running high-speed cable too. So I'm thinkin of getting a wireless router...but i don't know where to start. I've seen some routers go up to 108mbp and others 54, 22, etc. I'm assuming the higher the better right? also what else will I need? do I just need 1 wireless adapter for the comp in the other room? Do you guys have any recommendations for routers? I was thinkin of maybe getting a D-link 802-11g...but i'm not sure..how are d-link in comparision to Linksys routers?

also does it matter which computer I hook up the router to? I have one computer that is faster than the other, so would it make a difference if I hooked it up to the slower one, and the faster one get the wireless adapter card?
    ahhhhh...so many questions, so little time.
    I need some advice...please if you may do so kindly....advise.
    Last edited by brucelee21; 01-26-2005 at 07:00 AM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    sameer0807's Avatar I aIn'T nO sErIoUs
    but i don't know where to start

First step will be to get a router.

I've seen some routers go up to 108mbp and others 54, 22, etc. I'm assuming the higher the better right?

I have NETGEAR Router with 54Mbps Wireless PCI Adapter and it works fine.

also what else will I need? do I just need 1 wireless adapter for the comp in the other room?

If you only have 2 computers than you only need 1 wireless adapter. I have 4 computers at my home. 3 Pc's have wireless adapters and one (main PC) with router connection and all.

also does it matter which computer I hook up the router to? I have one computer that is faster than the other, so would it make a difference if I hooked it up to the slower one, and the faster one get the wireless adapter card?

I would recommened you to connect the router with the faster computer. I also have router connected to fastest computer.

I need some advice...please if you may do so kindly....advise.

I hope i helped you!

Cheers :-)
    Last edited by sameer0807; 01-26-2005 at 09:33 AM.

"I'll be here... I'll be 'waiting'...here... I'll be waiting... for you ... so... If you come here... You'll find me. I promise..."

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    I have a dlink (not wireless though) and it works great.

One computer needs the wireless adaptor and the other computer can be wired.

Doesn't matter which is wired to the router, just do whichever is closer to the net connection.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    excellent work young jedi masters! very helpful!

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by brucelee21
    excellent work young jedi masters! very helpful!
    wow