Thread: GSpot says codecs not installed...why?

Hi, there. I'm trying to play a music video I downloaded. The audio works fine. But the video is out of sync...it plays in slow motion, and jumps abruptly from one scene to scene.

Reading the forums here, I got the clue this might be a codec problem. So I ran GSpot and it does say: Video codec not installed (type: div3; name: DivX 3 Low-Motion).

I don't understand well about codecs, but according to my control panel, I have the following codecs installed: DivX Codec; DivX Codec 3.1 alpha release.

Shouldn't the DivX 3 Low-Motion codec be included in these? Anyone know what's going on?

Thankya.

p.s. GSpot also says the audio codec (0x0055(MP3, ISO) MPEG-1 Layer 3) is not installed. But, anyway, the audio on the video works fine.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Get this

yo

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    The detection of codecs by GSpot simply isn't always 100% accurate.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Entity101,
    You mean to say the DivX 3 Low-Motion codec IS included in DivX Codec 3.1 alpha release?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    div3 = divx 3 low-motion (divxc32.dll)
    div4 = divx 3 fast-motion (divxc32f.dll)
    divx = DivX 4 and above

But you don't really need divx 3.xx installed. Recent versions of DivX can also play these files.

GSpot simply checks if it can find the divx 3 encoder. If it can't it will report that the codec wasn't found. But that doesn't always mean it can't play that type of files.
    Last edited by Entity101; 01-27-2005 at 10:37 PM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Entity101
    But you don't really need divx 3.xx installed. Recent versions of DivX can also play these files.
    Thanks, Entity101. That is what I was trying to find out.