Thread: Playstation 2 Audio Buzz

orcutt989's Avatar Blargh
    I bought a new TV recently, it is an RCA, TruFlat television set that was about 150$ or so dollars, and its a 20". I have 2 RF switches hooked up to it. One for my dreamcast, and then another for my Playstation 2, they are directly hooked up into each other, and the television picture is fine, and on my other TV which was much, much older, before the green tube went out, the audio was fine, and the picture was also great. But now with this TV, when I play games on my playstation, and movies, when the sound is barely up, there is a loud buzzing noise coming from the speakers of the TV. Does anyone know how I can fix this? By the way, games and VCD's on the dreamcast have great sound, no buzzing. I have been reduced to not playing my playstation and watching movies because the buzzing sound is so unbearable.
    Last edited by orcutt989; 01-26-2005 at 10:11 PM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Try jiggling the A/V wire at the back of the playstation.

Might not be that but that happens to me sometimes cos my wire's in the early stages of fuckedness.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Phlegm
    Try jiggling the A/V wire at the back of the playstation.

Might not be that but that happens to me sometimes cos my wire's in the early stages of fuckedness.
    Hmm yeah I tried that. Ill have to try it some more. Thanks.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Alright i switched the RFU switch out for some AV cables that came with the PS2, no more buzzing! Yes...

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    ya why were you using the RF switches?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco_2004
    ya why were you using the RF switches?

Because the old TV that I was using didnt have any AV inputs, and the RF switches work great anyways. All you have to do is turn on the system, no switching to a certain channel or anything. Now with my PS2 I have to set the tv in in Audio/Video mode. Ill get used to it, but the Dreamcast is still hooked up with an RF switch and it works great.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by orcutt989
    Because the old TV that I was using didnt have any AV inputs, and the RF switches work great anyways. All you have to do is turn on the system, no switching to a certain channel or anything. Now with my PS2 I have to set the tv in in Audio/Video mode. Ill get used to it, but the Dreamcast is still hooked up with an RF switch and it works great.
    "RF switch" and "great" don't belong in the same sentence.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by 3RA1N1AC
    "RF switch" and "great" don't belong in the same sentence.
    I love RF switches. All I have to do is switch the system on. No changing channels or whatever.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by orcutt989
    I love RF switches. All I have to do is switch the system on. No changing channels or whatever.
    The quality will go to crap. Use RCA or S-Video or better input if you can.

Anyways if sound like you have what I think is called "cross-talk" or "ground loop" problem where you have either have your cables running too close to the power cables or you have a grounding problem. You can go to radio shack and get a grounding loop isolator or move your cable away from all other cables. Try using high quality cables and not dollar stores ones if your are using cheap ones.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    FYI: when using a RF adapter (really it's a RF modulator), you choose which channel to modulate(transmit) on. Here in the US it's channel 3 or 4. Most people don't realize that you are supposed to pick the channel that's not being used in your area by a local TV station.

This is to avoid interference with the local station.

Another thing is your TV's tuner. If it's not completely "locked" into the channel you're modulating, the result can be noisy audio or a poor picture. This is cured by simply changing channels back and forth to the one you're modulating. This allows the electronic tuner's circuitry to lock into the channel(frequency) you want.
    Not an uncommon problem and can occur on older TVs with mechanical tuners as well. (though the reason for the problem isn't electrical but mechanical)

/class dismissed

BTW, using audio/video cables over a modulator is a no brainer.