Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Audio works; Video doesn't

I have a brand new IBM laptop computer. I have the DivX codec 5.1. I downloaded a avi video of a rock concert. When I try to play the video with Windows Media Player, the audio works fine, but the video looks as if it's in slow motion and the transition from scene to scene is very choppy.

If I try to play it using DivX player, things improve quite a bit. Now the video does play smoothly in some parts. But the motion in the video often freezes, with the result looking as if it's just a series of still photos being shown (rather than a video). The audio always plays smoothly.

Anyone know what I should do to get this video working properly?

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    lee551's Avatar no soup for you! BT Rep: +5
    try playing it with videolan ( http://www.videolan.org/ ). if it still doesn't work, then its most likely the video's fault.

do you have any other divx codecs installed? sometimes if you install multiple instances of a codec they conflict with each other & cause problems.

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    hi...actually when I try to play it with videolan the result is even worse (audio is scratchy and there is no video at all).

I don't believe I have installed any codecs other than 5.1

Hmm, what I notice is that the videos which are "mpeg" work well on my computer. But "avi" videos (sometimes work) but usually there is a problem. I wonder if this is a clue which helps us pinpoint the cause?

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by lane99
    hi...actually when I try to play it with videolan the result is even worse (audio is scratchy and there is no video at all).

I don't believe I have installed any codecs other than 5.1

Hmm, what I notice is that the videos which are "mpeg" work well on my computer. But "avi" videos (sometimes work) but usually there is a problem. I wonder if this is a clue which helps us pinpoint the cause?
    divx isnt the only codec used for avi files. try installing Xvid.

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    nsane's Avatar .
    there's also 3ivx, what i prefer to encode with (simpler)

6. Movies & TV   -   #6
    I'm pretty sure the video uses DivX. It shows DivX logo in the first frame of the video, and also DivX is listed under "Properties" (right-click on the file icon).

It seems the video plays smoothly if there is no fast movement in the scene. Is there some reason it would play smoothly for stationary scenes but get jumpy and skippy if there's fast movement?

7. Movies & TV   -   #7
    try opening it with gspot and see what codec info it lists there. it might help.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

8. Movies & TV   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by lee551
    try opening it with gspot and see what codec info it lists
    Thanks. Yes, I have already done that. GSpot said:
    "Video codec not installed (type: div3; name: DivX 3 Low-Motion)"

I'm not sure what to make of this, since, as a test, I ran some other videos (videos which DO work perfectly on my computer) and GSpot gave this identical message.

9. Movies & TV   -   #9
    only other thing i can suggest is installing that codec. i found it at a few places after googling it. if it just messes up the other divx playbacks, uninstall it.

10. Movies & TV   -   #10
    Uninstall the DivX codec you have installed, install the K-Lite Mega Codec pack (it has the low motion codec and hundreds of others you will need sooner or later) Then i susgest watching the file in Media Player Classic (It comes with the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack) as its a very light player and uses up the least memory and CPU.
    Last edited by Peerzy; 02-01-2005 at 12:55 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast